Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Astra Stereo install

HoldenCommodoreVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS MY11
Hi i know its not commodore related but i figure some people on this forum has done it before, I haven't been able to find any info on how to install a aftermarket stereo into a 99 Ts astra
I've figured out that i will need the wiring conversion plugs and a antenna plug converter
but im not sure on how to physically mount it.
Thanks for any help offered

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
I don't know the answer but my son is a member of a couple of excellent Astra Forums. Maybe try them? I think they are Astra Owners Club and OpelAus.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
You're right on the wiring harness and the antenna plug - like the VE Commodore, the Astra uses a Fakra antenna plug rather than the standard DIN used on most cars. To do it properly you'll also want a professionally made wiring harness that converts the Astra's radio plug either to the plug used by your head unit, or to a standard ISO connector, which you can then plug the wiring harness from your new head unit into. I replaced the head unit in my AH Astra last year, all the gear I used (dash fascia, CANBUS loom, Fakra -> DIN antenna adapter) is made by a UK based company called Connects2, they make gear for the TS Astra too, and their gear is sold in Australia by Stinger, as such you should be able to get it from anywhere that sells Stinger gear (I got mine from Autobarn)

To physically mount the HU in the dash, you'll need a dash fascia, similar sort of thing as what you'd use installing an aftermarket HU in a VY/VZ Commodore, these are also available from Connects2.

Either way, to do it properly, with the right gear, and keep your steering wheel controls (if you have them), you'll probably be looking at a fair bit of money, the CANBUS harness for the AH (which allows you to keep your steering wheel controls, as well as allowing you to set the date and time, and use the trip computer on the MFD from the steering wheel) cost me about $250, just for the wiring harness, but given that my car now has a decent stereo with full iPod integration...it was worth it.

HoldenCommodoreVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS MY11
Thats a great help, i think because its a ts astra it wont need a fascia it will just slot into the original hole where the old radio goes, I know that to install the radio you need the sleeve that comes with the new head unit which you slot in before you install the headunit i was wondering if it had to be removed how would it be done because you cant reach the things to release it around the side
Thanks for anyhelp

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
hi mate i did it last week

undo the 4 grub screws and get a wire coat hanger..
cut 2 length (i just guessed lengths) and bend them and push them into the gaps.

then i got a hammer and pryed the top out

then from auto barn i got the 2 wiring harnesses and then got the euro antenna connector

i think i have pictures, ill look

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Yeah, with my AH I also made a set of removal keys out of a coathanger, same sort of deal as pulling a HU out of a VT -> VZ Commodore...it was nowhere near as quick or as easy as it would've been with the proper removal keys (with the glovebox out, I had to push the unit out from behind while trying to release the clips from front with the coathanger, with the proper removal keys I wouldn't have had to have done that), but it did the job.

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
^

i just got something to push into the top and wiggle after the coat hanger keys were all the way in (u hear a click)

then i put the claws on the hammer in the gap at the top and wiggled it out.. didnt leave any damage at all. just do it gently

HoldenCommodoreVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS MY11
Thanks for the help Astranomical and Jonno
Dads a mechanic so he has the keys to release the radio so thats no problem
If you could find the photos that would be great Jonno so is their any special mountings for the sleve do i just bend the tabs in?
Thanks