Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[HOLDEN] Quote $600 for my 120,000KM Service

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
The best place to get a service is at Holdens, sure you may pay a little more for labour but remember those mechanics ONLY work on Holdens and are trained by Holdens. Go to another place and prepared to be ripped off, example I once took my old VX with 80,000 on the clock to Ultratune and was told I need new rotors as they were under the limit, next service I told Holdens mechanic to look and they said they were fine.

Have a guess where apprentices like to go for the 'best training' and 'secure employment', and have a guess who likes to hire cheap as chips apprentices to do minor services?
Car dealers thats who!

If you suspect your local mechanic is ripping you a new one, go elsewhere for sure! But the service you get at a Holden dealer is no better than elsewhere mate. If you go to Ultratune etc. they still need to stamp your book as a log book service using genuine parts. Find a local mechanic you trust, and go there OP. If you have a doubt, get a second opinion. Or before you get a service done, get a "50 point safety check" done somewhere. They'll probably try and upsell you on stuff too, but my point is dont be suckered into "dealer is best" mentality.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Yeah I'm aware of the manifold being removed me and my mate did it to his V6 Omega Sedan I while back and it worked just fine

Well get your mate to come and help you . If not then as stated do it yourself . Just spend a few minutes looking that what has to come off and maybe take a few pics before dismantling
anything . Also get some info on the torque settings you will need plus make sure you have all the tools you need to do the job , bit hard to go off to Repco for a spanner when your car is in bits .Plus you will get all the advise you need from this site from guys who have done it themselves .

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
So ughhhh yeah that dose NOT sound right for an oil filter (Serviced and changed at 105,000KM)

and for $105 I can get this
Commodore Omega VE V6 Service KIT Genuine Holden Parts | eBay

I mean I asked this what they do and they said just change the spark plugs and oil/air filter (I have Cold Air Intake so defeats the purpose of Air filter replacement)

Anyone else had exceptionally high quote from Holden or anywhere before?

HOLDEN FERNTREE GULLY, VIC

I don't know why you would buy a V6 kit when you have a V8 SS ute but then you can save money by only changing 6 spark plugs.

Holden do numerous checks on the vehicle in addition to the oil change, filter change and spark plug change as part of the 120000 km service.

What you have been quoted is expensive though .

If you want to delete all these vehicle checks then all you need do is:

Oil change: approx $130 for the correct spec fully synthetic oil - V8 takes 7.6 litres (and if DIY you will need to buy 10 litres worth - about $160 for the correct fully SYN oil)
Filter change: 1 - approx $12/13 for the filter
Spark Plugs: 8 units - cost depends on brand and spec.
Labour charges if not DIY -- probably 1.5 to 2 hours
Charge for disposal of old oil if not DIY.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Have a guess where apprentices like to go for the 'best training' and 'secure employment', and have a guess who likes to hire cheap as chips apprentices to do minor services?
Car dealers thats who!

If you suspect your local mechanic is ripping you a new one, go elsewhere for sure! But the service you get at a Holden dealer is no better than elsewhere mate. If you go to Ultratune etc. they still need to stamp your book as a log book service using genuine parts. Find a local mechanic you trust, and go there OP. If you have a doubt, get a second opinion. Or before you get a service done, get a "50 point safety check" done somewhere. They'll probably try and upsell you on stuff too, but my point is dont be suckered into "dealer is best" mentality.

Just another "I hate Holden Dealers" thread. It's been done to death here.

What is so hilarious with you guys who denigrate the "cheap as chips apprentices" and call them all kinds of derogatory names like "muppets" is that you are only too happy to have these "cheap as chip apprentices" and "muppet" apprentices work on your car when you take them into Holden for all your free warranty claim work (much of which is no doubt more complex than basic vehicle book servicing).

Apparently you do not mind either if non-dealer servicing businesses like Ultratune use apprentices to work on your car.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
K-Mart Auto Service do oil and filter change using Shell Helix HX-7 10w40 plus vehicle check for $150. BYO NGKs just in case they are not up to scratch when they pull plugs, if so ask for oldies in box.
Ideal for interim service (not 120k), plus full vehicle check, that's cheaper than buying the oil and filter yourself and of course you have someone to blame if you find fault with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
If you must service it elsewhere find a good independent mechanic. They'll do the job properly and will be cheaper than a dealer. I wouldn't trust K-Mart with a pushbike, chain stores will often take you for a ride.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I wouldn't trust K-Mart with a pushbike, chain stores will often take you for a ride.

There's not that much to changing the oil and filter, all work is guaranteed in any case. Unless you have a hoist, use theirs, and ask to inspect the undercarriage with the mechanic while you wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Car dealers thats who!

Smaller workshops like apprentices too you know, in fact they are more likely to use them than Holden Service Centres. The thing with Holdnes is they are EXPERTS on Holdens where Joes Garage knows all car makes equally so therefor isn't an expert on Holdens or any car make for that matter, one point I do agree is that apprentices like working at Holdens for the security and training, that's why they would only accept the best applicants while Joe gets to pick from the rest.

I also doubt the $600 quote is just for a minor service, without looking in the book I would say its a major service and would most likely include trans service etc. I would suggest looking up and seeing what's involved before saying its expensive.