Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Holden Vectra problem

Jay-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vectra
Hi. I've just purchased a Holden Vectra and I've only had it a few days. Both my boyfriend and I have driven it and we've noticed that the engine light comes on and then all the needles drop and come back on again after a minute. But, when I drove it yesterday, that happened twice in the matter of seconds. Is it battery or engine related? Or is it something else?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
take it to a mechanic , and get a diagnostic scan, just to be on the safe side

PS- welcome in as well

Jay-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vectra
Got it from a dealership though. Should I get them to look at it or a mechanic to look at it?

Sorry if I come across is being worried. It's my first car.

Thanks.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Take it back to the dealership , if they have a workshop , if not take to a mechanic , chances are it's something simple

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you bought it from a dealer within the last few days or weeks, it should have some sort of statutory warranty unless it's over a certain age or the odometer reading exceeds the distance specified under the legislation. (150,000km ?). Take it back and discuss the problem with them but don't delay or any warranty could expire.

Jay-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vectra
Only got the car Saturday (31st of May) and it has a one year warranty on it. The car has low k's on it (just over 89,000 for a car it's age). I can't take it there myself as I'm a learner driver and only day I can take it is on a Saturday.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Take it to the dealer then or you will void any warranty with them.

Jay-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vectra
Take it to the dealer then or you will void any warranty with them.

How can it void any warranty with them?

Sorry about the questions. I've hit the panic button as it's my first car.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Because it isn't a new car warranty, the warranty is with the dealership rather than Holdens themselves.
If you were to go to another mechanic, the dealership could rightfully claim that the 3rd party mechanic was the cause of the fault.
They aren't going to cover someone else's work.

Anyway it's not a huge deal, ring the place you purchased the car from and speak to them. Go from there.

Jay-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vectra
That explains it a little better. I'll ring them up later today and explain it to them. My boyfriend and I took it back not even 10 minutes after leaving there with that issue and it didn't happen again until Sunday morning.

I had to have a look at a manual for a Vectra to see what the explanation for the light that had come up on the dashboard while driving (looks like an engine).

Just hit that freak out mood on both occasions as well. Thanks for your help as well.