Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hot terminal

cashy06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s2 clubsport
hi all

i have a 96 clubsports every time i connect the battery and try start it it wont start it turns over but wont fire up and the negative battery terminal gets hot not sure if thats the reason why it wont start any tips to fix this

thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That doesn't sound right. The terminal definitely shouldn't get hot, it might suggest there is an internal fault in the battery causing high resistance at the terminal. Can you borrow a battery to try eliminate that as an issue?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
if the neg terminals is getting hot at the battery pull off both terminals and pour boiling water over them and the leads..Then using a wire brush/steal wool or sand paper, clean the batt posts and terminals and make sure they are tightly pushed on and tightened...see if that helps

cashy06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s2 clubsport
hi all

i have a 96 clubsports every time i connect the battery and try start it it wont start it turns over but wont fire up and the negative battery terminal gets hot not sure if thats the reason why it wont start any tips to fix this

thanks

does the battery have to be fully charged to make it kick over

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
it helps :) voltage needs to be maintained over 12v when cranking

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Terminal getting hot is likely to be a sign of resistance in the circuit. As well as cleaning the terminals and connectors at the battery I recommend cleaning the earth connection at the inside of the guard next to the battery. Unbolt it and clean thoroughly. There are also earth points on the engine block. Can't hurt to clean those too. Let us know how you go. I wish all fixes were as easy and cheap as this one

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
If you're still stuck head down to the local autopro. They tested mine with a flash tester that apparently can tell if it's the battery, alternator, etc.
My battery (if you believe them) was running at 13%

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
If you're still stuck head down to the local autopro. They tested mine with a flash tester that apparently can tell if it's the battery, alternator, etc.
My battery (if you believe them) was running at 13%
My local Autobarn did the same for me. Checked battery, alternator and starter motor very quickly, and for free. Not so easy if you have to push the car there though.
How's it going? Got it to fire up yet?

cashy06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s2 clubsport
Still No luck with my car starting i re-earthed the negative cords and then the red positive cords went hot