Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I change the headlight globes....easily ;)

lynwill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Hello, I am new here with a dilemma. My son has a 2006 SV6 and the headlights have blown. Is anyone able to advise the best way of changing the globes, please?

Lynette

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Open the bonnet, remove the dust caps usually rubber caps, take out the connector may need wiggling a bit to get off, should be a little clip that unhooks and then the bulb should be free, you would need a H4 globe 60/55w that you can get just about anywhere. Sorry i cant be more specific i dont own a VZ but its pretty much the same sort of thing for most cars. Vice versa to put it on, put the globe in, put the clip back on, plug connector back in, push or twist dust cap back in
Good luck

lynwill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Thanks for the reply but I haven't explained clearly. My car is a VZ but my son's (the car in question) is a 2006 VE SV6.

Ugly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
replying to a 2yo thread... anyway, 1 hour, 3 cigarettes, 1 beer and a broken back later I've managed to change my headlight bulbs. I want my HZ back and my HG running again... There's got to be a joke somewhere about how many blokes it takes to change a VE lightbulb.

For the record -
Get a stubby phillips-head screwdriver, a small torch and a 30cm long piece of string.
Undo the top of the aircleaner. take out the filter and push the cover back towards the firewall.
Prop it somehow so it doesn't fall forward again - I used a piece of wood.
One of the clips will be in your way so use the piece of string to tie it up or you'll have trouble getting your hands in behind the light (passenger side)
Twist off the cap behind the light you wish to change (headlights, not high beam)
Diconnect the clip from the back of the bulb - just pull it of while wiggling it
You will see a clip holding the bulb in place and a small screw holding one end.
Using the stubby screwdriver, undo the screw just enough to release the clip but not all the way out
The bulb should pretty much fall out.
Have a beer. Stretch out the pain in your back.
Taking care not to touch the globe, put the new one in making sure it is located properly.
Get the clip and place the end under the screw you loosened earlier. Then tighten.
It won't look like it fits properly because the other end is sticking up. You have to push the other end down and under a ridge but its hard to describe. Push sideways as well as down to get it under the ridge...
Once thats done, stretch you back again, reconnect the power and screw on the dust cover.
Replace the filter etc and you're good to go.

A lot of this is done by feel alone because the area is so tight and you'll never want to do it again.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
Whilst you are at it, try having a good at changing the indicator bulbs. Now thats fun. Using someone with small hands is a must! LOL

wayneforrest

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
It is a five min job, changed mine last night to better globes. But if your not mechanical minded better to get someone to do it for you.

Last edited:

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
It is a five min job, changed mine last night to better globes. But if your not mechanical minded better to get someone to do it for you. sorry i cant be more helpfull as it is not easy to put on paper how to do it. would do it for you if local.

Hope Lynette wasn't hanging out for that particular reply.. "04-12-2009 08:21 PM"

:rofl2:

LMFAO

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
the reply to a long dated thread is still worthwhile.... very good info posted (especially for a first post!). thanks for contributing "Ugly" :).

Last edited:

revinR1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I did mine a while back.Had a bit of a problem at first but then read the owners manual. passengers side just pull up the washer fill tube and it comes out.(no need to remove part of the air cleaner ???) Drivers side just twist the over flow tube/neck out and have plenty of room. An other thing is they not H4 bulbs either Lowbeams are H7 for memory and High bean is H9.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You want hard to change bulbs try a Tarago. My brother needed a headlight changed but to do it you have to remove the front bar and the headlight assembly. That was bloody fun.