Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you install a distributor?

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
rochester didnt make 2 barrel carbies except for the 4 and 6 cyl varijet, the carby in the pictures is a WW 2 barrel stromberg carby...

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
See, thats how much I like it, I dont even know what make it is. Its gotta go.

Hey atrail308 (or anyone else), what manifold should I go with? (for 600 holley) Im a bit torn between a Redline and an Edelbrock.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
you need the piston in cyl #1 to be at top dead centre and both intake and exhaust valves shut, mark on the dizzy case where the contactor on the cap lines up, turn the dizzy in the hole until the rotor points to this mark, this means that the ignition circuit is complete and cyl 1 will fire when the piston is at TDC. if nothing happens when you try to fire it up then your 180' out, simply rotate the cap 180' or remove the dizzy and put it back in so that the rotor points 180' from your original mark on the housing, then put the cap bac on. the large caps only go on one way. be careful abou relying solely on harmonic balancer timig marks, they can slip and give false timing readings. u should check TDC with a screwdriver in cyl #1 being careful not to poke it into the bore...

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
slundy said:
Hey atrail308 (or anyone else), what manifold should I go with? (for 600 holley) Im a bit torn between a Redline and an Edelbrock.

A factory 4 barrel manifold do the job nicely. But if you can't get one, Edelbrock is the ticket

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
SL/ENUT said:
A factory 4 barrel manifold do the job nicely. But if you can't get one, Edelbrock is the ticket

Cheers for the reply and I think your right mate, after doing a bit of searching I've found that the redlines are not very well made. With that in mind I think I will go with the Edelbrock as I will be running a single turbo on the engine late on. (thats my plan atm but I may swing towards a supercharger, I'm still not too sure)

Cheers, Steve

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
agreed, go the edelbrock manifold...

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I was speaking to my cousin tonight and he suggested also to plug a spark plug in the outlet lead connected to the coil, and with the ignition on, rotate the dizzy a bit until you see a spark and then it should be damn close to where it should be. Thanks for the above help. I look forward to trying it out soon.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
slundy said:
Timing Ok. here we go:

1: Remove #1 sparkplug (to find top dead center)

2: Put small schrunched piece of paper in hole, still able to pull out while blocking the hole completly.

3: Crank engine by hand until you get compression on #1 cylinder (paper will pop out)

4: Turn a little bit more until harmonic balancer lines up (see first pic *white lines line up on mine*)

5: Put distributor in so as the rotor is inline with #1 on the cap (#1 will fire when #1 cylinder is at TDC)

6: Clamp dizzy down and put spark plug back and leads on.

7: Connect coil. (im not sure which wires go where on your dizzy)

Hope thats what you wanted

Thanks a lot. It helped a lot. I tried the paper popping thing and it really did go bang like a balloon popping. :)

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Slim said:
Thanks a lot. It helped a lot. I tried the paper popping thing and it really did go bang like a balloon popping. :)

Means youve got good compression then.