Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] HOW TO: change a serpentine belt (vs)

Discussion in 'Holden Commodore How-To's' started by VS dream, Aug 22, 2011.

1. VS dream

VS dream Lets go cruising!

Members Ride:
    VS Executvie SeriesII
    The serpentine belt is the main belt on the front of the engine which runs around a set of pulleys.
    Its actually very simple to change despite how complicated it can look.
    I did this on a vs ecotec not sure if its the exact same with other models (vn, vp vr, vt).

What you need:
    - Replacement belt
    - Spanner or equivalent
    - Pen & paper
    - 10 minutes

1. Buy the right belt - you can pick these up from supercheap or autobahn for around 30 - $50. make sure you dont just pick one unless you know exactly which suits your car, speak to someone.

2. Draw yourself a diagram of the way your belt loops around the pulleys.

[​IMG]

3. Take out a spanner or socket wrench set and locate the tensioner pulley. In order to loosen the belt you have to rotate the tensioner pulley ANTI-clockwise. As the tensioner is pushed down it gives the belt some slack. After taking it off the top left pulley you can remove this is any old fashion.
    TENSIONER PULLEY:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Get out your new belt and diagram and feed/loop the new belt in, making sure the threads and teeth on the belt line up and everything sits nice and smick, leaving the belt off the very top pulley.

[​IMG]

5. Loosen the tension on the tensioner pulley again (rotate the tensioner pulley) and put the belt over the last pulley (top left).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Check back to your diagram and make sure the belt is on correctly at each pulley, to make adjustments just loosen tension.

[​IMG]

9. Start your car and idle just watching the belt to check everythings running nice and smoothly. Then run it through the rev range up to 5k, there shouldnt be any problems but its just a precaution.

If you have any problems feel free to PM me :)

NOTE: any damage or injuries caused are in no way my fault. i take no responsibility, this is just a guide.

Ps. Taking/posting pictures tomorrow its too dark now

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. FstStig

FstStig Diagnostician

Members Ride:
    2010 VE SV6
    Wow you must be a mechanic thinking 30mins... Takes about 5mins and that is with a new belt.... New Belts can be harder to put on because they have not stretched. If people are having trouble getting it over the Alternator Pulley, try and get a little bit of the belt onto the Alternator Pulley, then with another spanner or socket, put it on the Harmonic Balancer and turn the the balancer Clockwise, while still holding down on the tensioner.

Thanks for the Guide either way :)

3. drewVHSS

drewVHSS Donating Member

Members Ride:
    '83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
    HA! Best time i've managed is at 2am at east gosford shops in the pouring rain.
    My neighbour at the time Stevo had a VS that kept spitting the belt, problem that night is his bonnet cable snapped.

3 mins 13 seconds using torch light, a pissy shifter and doing it from underneath on wet gravel road after being dragged out of bed with the "help me mate" call with the promise of $50 to get him up and running so he could complete his shift.
    Mind you i'd had heaps of practice on his car after having to fit new belts and refit existing belts for 3 weeks cause he wouldn't fork out for a new idler pulley so it kept throwing belts before that night.

4. VS dream

VS dream Lets go cruising!

Members Ride:
    VS Executvie SeriesII
    gee sorry mate, just put 30 because some people might like to draw a really nice picture

EDIT: just got the mechanic joke hahaha

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  5. VKCOMMO

VKCOMMO Carpark Mechanic.....

Members Ride:
    VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
    What I like to do is get the belt all around the right way etc.., except for the water pump, and then flex the tensioner and get the belt onto the water pump.. Always used that method and found it the best..

6. djdomohudson

djdomohudson Mad frogs

Members Ride:
    VT Executive 3.8 v6
    AWESOME!!! I was struggling there for a minute...

*takes laptop outside to follow steps again and do it in like 2 seconds as I've been scratching my head over this for over an hour now :) *

7. Dropjeslover

Dropjeslover Shit happens

Members Ride:
    VS V6 Executive
    Might want to add somewhere that the tensioner pully bolt is left threaded. To undo the bolt, turn it clockwise!
    I didn't and ####ed up the thread in the tensioner arm :doh:
    Put the bolt back in with locktite on it, now trying to figure out how to get the tensioner arm to lower...

8. Brett_jjj

Brett_jjj New Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Ive also found that this is by far easiest way to get them back on.

9. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Me too....................................

10. Dropjeslover

Dropjeslover Shit happens

Members Ride:
    VS V6 Executive
    I've solved my little problem too, thread sealant in the remaining thread, let it cure for 15+ hours. Belt all the way around, except the water pump as it doesn't have an edge on the pully. Use the bolt to get the arm moving the first part, last bit with a crowbar and then slide the belt on the water pump :)

11. immortality

immortality Donating Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    I take the belt of the alternator pulley, although I don't have the engine cover on so very easy access.

Should be able to do it with just a spanner on the tensioner pulley, just make sure the belt is sitting properly on all the other pulleys first, if it's not and it's sitting up on the teeth of another pulley than the belt will seem to short.

12. magnumv8

magnumv8 Guest

Thanks guys, just replaced the serpentine belt on my vy. These instructions made it a 5min job.

13. john57

john57 New Member

Members Ride:
    equip vs
    Seems too easy, but reckon my belt tension is too loose, as can almost slide the belt off the tensioner pulley since there are no teeth at this point, how do you tighten the belt and how tight should it be?

14. Hertz Donut

Hertz Donut Member

Members Ride:
    Beastmode VS Equipe
    The tensioner assembly is supposed to handle keeping the belt at the right tension. It's possible your assembly is on the way out, I had to replace mine at around 270,000km when the spring collapsed. Sadly I have to replace it again as the "new" OEM one I got from Holden has half-collapsed (dodgy from new, useless barsteads), meaning the belt slips forward on the arm and the outer rib on the belt gets chewed off. That's as far as it slides but I've been warned by the WOF inspector (like a roadworthy) it should technically fail the warrant.

15. mkhannah

mkhannah New Member

Members Ride:
    vr commodore
    Just joined the forum to thank vs dream and everyone else who contributed to this thread, saved me some $ and a heap of time replacing my sons vr belt, good on you all :)

16. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    I photocopied and laminated setup and put them in the 3xVS we had.
    Didn`t matter if got dirty cleaned and back in the glove box.