Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To: Change a VF Steering Wheel

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
* I claim no liability towards any damage caused by those following this how-to.

I ordered in a Flat Bottom Holden Sport Steering Wheel (Part #92273524) for approx $150 and a replacement Centre Bolt (Part #11610164) for approx $2.
For those interested (not JingleBells) in replacing their steering wheels this is how I did mine.

First and most importantly, DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE. You do not want the airbag to discharge while you are working. If you want extra insurance and peace of mind you can also remove the airbag fuse. :hmmm:

You need to remove the airbag, lower the steering wheel to it's lowest setting, extend it fully and rotate it 180 degrees to expose the two holes at the rear of the steering wheel.

Releasing the airbag through these two holes is probably the hardest part of the job, I inserted a screwdriver and you are trying to push the end of the screwdriver towards the centre of the wheel to release these two spring loaded clips (if you look at my image you will see the scratches where I was initially trying to move it the wrong way).

Keep a hand in the front of the airbag because you don't want it to pop off and head towards the floor.
Once the airbag is clear you will need to disconnect the two clips. These are released by pulling up the two orange locking clips, these only move about 5mm.
Once up the plugs can be removed (use caution here, any stray current here will detonate the airbag, obvious precautions should be observed)

Once the airbag is disconnected place it out of the way, standard advice is leave it face up in case it does let go.
You will be presented with something like the next image (sorry I didn't get a pic of the centre bolt in place). You need to loosen the centre bolt (its a T50 Torx), loosen it most of the way leaving a few threads on. Lever the wheel slightly to ensure it will come off in the next step. (don't remove it yet). Disconnect the centre connector shown below (it has the standard clip you will need to push), also disconnect the two steering wheel control connectors (not shown in this image).
I've highlighted the front of where your screwdriver mates to the clips from the rear too.

Remove the centre bolt fully and remove the steering wheel. Carefully feed the two airbag cables through as you remove the wheel.
You will end up with the below image. Do not allow the centre section (the clockspring) to move whilst the wheel is off, you will snap it.

Now that the wheel is off you need to transfer the horn assembly, trim and controls onto your new wheel.
Loosen the 3 x T30 Torx bolts shown below and carefully remove the horn assembly. (note it is two pieces that loosely sit together with 3 springs (you can see this better in the above image))

Now you need to take the steering wheel controls and trim off in ONE piece. They are held in place by several guides that have an interference fit into the rubber of the steering wheel. Pry it up EVENLY using a plastic trim tool or similar. DO NOT try and lever up one side or you WILL brake a controller off at the rear.

Reassembly is the reverse of the above.
One gotcha was the three T30 bolts, ensure these are tightened up fully (not over tightened), I didn't tighten mine enough and the horn didn't work (had fun taking off the airbag and the horn assembly another two times until I found the issue).
Hope this all makes sense. Ask and questions.
Do NOT do this unless you are competent with tools and working around the airbag.
It should look like this when finished.

*Thanks to duaned for motivating me to buy a wheel and his advice!

Last edited:

6LVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
I think I'll let Holden do mine,I'm to clumsy.lol.
But great detail n pics.Cheers.

Brettv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Ute
Did this tonight, got my wheel from south melbourne holden for $156, bolt for $12....

Followed these instructions and it worked a treat. Instead of disconnecting the battery terminal, i pulled the air bag fuse (driver side near ignition) and the horn fuse (engine bay)

Everything went to plan, probably could have reused the bolt.

Thanks!

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Good how to thanks guys !

3 things I would like to amend/add to your guide is

1 - I found using an allen key or L shaped torx rod easier to use than the screw driver to press the clips in with
2 - When placing back in the 3 x 30T bolts into the steel plate press the plate all the way in to see where the horn mechanism finishes, then screw your bolts in so there is only a small amount of travel for the silver plate and not a few mm like i first did (like chasie I had to do this a few times to get the horn working again)
3 - tighten up the steering wheel bolt as per workshop manual

Screen_Shot_2015_02_26_at_3_45_21_pm.png

Also I re used the orignal bolt and used a little bit of loctite as there was a blue thread locking substance from factory.

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Wish VE flat bottomed steering wheels were $156, not $456

zach1240

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY15 SV6
Also it is very important to make sure the Airbag Steering wheel module coil inst moved during removal/installation. if it is it will need to be centered prior to fitting new steering wheel. Otherwise it will mess up the sensors particularity the reversing camera link (first time I did it moved it off centre and the reverse camera grid-lines were way off to the left, but car wheels and steering was dead centre :/). This in the black wheel thing directly behind the steering wheel. Once steering wheel is removed you don't need to take black module off as it says in repair manual to centre. Just spin it carefully to instructions.

This is the specific process for centering the module correctly.

open

open