Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove Series 1 SSV Ute gutter moulds

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Hey gents

So as the title suggests. I'm wanting to know how to remove my gutter moulds on my ute. They need replacing looking old and crappy. There appears to be a solid rubber piece of the mould that is tucked under the side panels of the sail plane too. I'm totally lost on this one.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
you should be able to get something flat under the front of them and lift and wiggle side to side as you go along and they should pop out pretty easy.
you may have to remove the sail plane I am not sure if the strip will have issues coming out from under that but if you are going to replace them you might be able to use a bit of force to get them out from under it.

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
you should be able to get something flat under the front of them and lift and wiggle side to side as you go along and they should pop out pretty easy.
you may have to remove the sail plane I am not sure if the strip will have issues coming out from under that but if you are going to replace them you might be able to use a bit of force to get them out from under it.

They felt like they wanted to slide back or forwards first then lift?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
They felt like they wanted to slide back or forwards first then lift?

they might do on the ute, I have not removed them on a ute but on the sedans they don't slide.
if you are replacing them I wouldn't worry too much about removal.

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
they might do on the ute, I have not removed them on a ute but on the sedans they don't slide.
if you are replacing them I wouldn't worry too much about removal.

This is true, I was going to try the cheap and nasty spray paint first.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Have you had a good crack at them with some polish? I was almost going to remove mine and repaint but thought I'd give it a go polishing as I've heard it is pretty easy to damage them in removal (talking sedan). Went over it a few times, and it is by no means back to perfect but I am happy enough with the results. A light cutting compound and some elbow grease and you'll be surprised at the amount of crap that comes off.

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Have you had a good crack at them with some polish? I was almost going to remove mine and repaint but thought I'd give it a go polishing as I've heard it is pretty easy to damage them in removal (talking sedan). Went over it a few times, and it is by no means back to perfect but I am happy enough with the results. A light cutting compound and some elbow grease and you'll be surprised at the amount of crap that comes off.

1 guess what I'm doin tomorrow.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
it might sound silly but try using a microfiber cloth and some "whitening" tooth paste its pretty much what makes up the stuff used in headlight restore kits but minty lol
the strips are rubber and a good rub with the cloth+toothpaste will probably bring them back to new looking.
I would try in a small spot first and see if it works, I cant see why it wouldn't.