Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to spot an unmarked police car

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Ive become quite good at spotting UC's around my general area so i figured i'd share my knowledge.

O.k the most commonly used Undercover cars are:
Holden Commodore
Ford Falcon
Mitsubishi 380
Ford Territory
Some Holden and Ford utes

Things to look for:
Basic ugly spare tyre rims
CB radio antennae
Phone Antennae (See picture 1)
Hidden Lights (See Picture 1 and 2)

Tyres:
Most UC cars i have seen are running on the ugly basic rims which resemble the spare tyre rims.

CB Radio Antennae:
Not on all UC cars but on others, usually positioned on front drivers side or rear passenger side of car, Small black and not much different to a AM/FM radio antennae

Phone Antennae:
Smallantennae usually attached to rear window for added phone reception / hands free system. See picture 1

Lights:
Most UC cars have lights for when they are responding, these can usually be found in the centre of the dash (Picture 2, 3), on the grille (Picture 3), or in the rear window(picture 1)

Picture 1
img_8947copy.jpg

Picture 2
287dash.jpg

(Usually in centre of dash)

Picture 3
bellmead7.jpg

(Lights in grille and in front of rear vision mirror)

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
PARKING SENSORS. If you see a Commo/Falcon with parking sensors, check the model of the car. If it's an executive, it's most likely a cop car. I then proceed to check for lights, antenna's, etc.

That's always my first sign.

Although, I'm just waiting for the million and one responses saying "you shouldn't be looking for cop cars, your attention should be on the road and following the rules, it shouldn't matter what car's a cop car". You've opened yourself up for it.

But if you're doing something wrong, the undercover cop car will usually spot you before you spot them. Don't think that this now means you can drive around at 180kmh, unless you have very quick reflexes.

Also, I've never seen an unmarked cop car with grille lights here. Only unmarked Vicroads cars, the only cop car I've seen with grille lights is the 300c that used to get around.

Anyway, this is all most likely common knowledge for a forum of car enthusiasts and will probably only come in handy when driving behind one. They're almost impossible to spot in a rear view mirror, where you'd most likely get done anyway.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I dont condone unsafe driving nor do i spend all my time looking for them. i occasionally look in the rear view and see lights. im just paranoid of the cops cause im on my P's and i know theyll pick me up for anything.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
could have used this tonight when i got pulled over and fined for having a faded number plate. $90 what a joke lol. dam sister not looking after her car

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
i went for a trip to pick up my doors for my car in vic today and saw a VE unmarked cop car...looked stock as...proper rims, really well hidden lights, they didnt stick up any higher than the dash...i thought it was a commodore driver helping another car till i got up close and saw the lights flashing...around griffith theres a mini van getting around aswell...i havent seen it but aparently its like a kia carnival style car, grey, thats about it...so they are getting more common.

id look for lancers too, ive seen a marked lancer floating around, wouldnt be surprised if they are unmarked next...

EDIT: the best way to spot them is to drive 15kms over the limit and look for blue and red lights lol.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Sometimes i see them in Subaru Foresters. Also most cop cars are clean. As stated though, antenas (but not always the case), lights on the centre of the dash at lower part of the windscreen, lights at the rear windows.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
What is the point of this thread? IF your a safe driver then you shouldn't need to worry what or where they are driving.

There you go Shounak, theres the one... now just wait for the millions lol.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
could have used this tonight when i got pulled over and fined for having a faded number plate. $90 what a joke lol. dam sister not looking after her car

Would the above knowledge have prevented you from getting a ticket?

Don't worry Christie, I'm keeping count.