Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to tell if certain rims are genuine (SSV rim)

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Hey guys, i've been looking at buying some SSV rims for my VX for a while now. I've found some on Gumtree, the seller says that they're genuine, but i would like to make sure myself before possibly buying replica ones unknowingly and that have the potential to buckle.

I've never seen the inside of a Holden rim before, so i'm unsure what to look for, even specifically for this rim. Anyone had any experience with the SSV rims and could tell me what i should be looking for; GM part number, Holden logo, ect..

Thanks

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Hsv rims that's I've had have a hsv symbol on them and the genuine Holden rims have had gmh stamped on the back. So look for them but I guess that could easily be forged when you think about it.

Also check that the size and width are to spec. I see allot of 19 inch supersports and 18 inch vy ss rims. That's a clear indicator that they're fake lol.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Rims aren't made by Holden. They are made by Wheeldemon that supply Holden. I don't know what your budget is but these guys have a contact number in Adelaide. You may see something else at the right price that you prefer https://www.wheeldemon.com.au/wheels/Holden/Commodore/VT-VZ?orderby=10

As said above by crew_man...
Wheeldemon are not a Holden wheel manufacturer. They are only a reseller the same as other businesses like WheelKing, JHP & Holmart for example.
I am sure that some people would freak out if they new that some Holden genuine wheels had been manufactured in Thailand.
And yes these "Thailand" genuine holden wheels have GMH symbols and part numbers cast into the back of the spokes during manufacture.

# I have genuine VY CV8R Monaro rims on my VZ 1 Tonner. Bought them brand new in the box from JHP in Melbourne. When I opened the boxes I found evidence that they were manufactured in Thailand.... at first I thought I had been sold cheap knock off wheels.
So long story short I did some research and found out that some holden wheels were actually manufactured in Thailand. I am glad I chose to research this first instead of getting on the phone and asking for a please explain, because I would have sounded like a real d##khead telling them I thought they had sold me knock off wheels
# These links below are to sales on Ebay for genuine VZ SS rims & a VY CV8R rim by Wheelking. It took me all of maybe 2 minutes to find these. If you are interested, read the "Item Specific" information in the ad.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Set-...357890?hash=item3f54d7a382:g:DGIAAOSwcu5UTdb2
# These are the rims I have on my 1 Tonner:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-MARK...5a1e5d5&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=272140298039

Last edited:

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Hsv rims that's I've had have a hsv symbol on them and the genuine Holden rims have had gmh stamped on the back. So look for them but I guess that could easily be forged when you think about it.

Also check that the size and width are to spec. I see allot of 19 inch supersports and 18 inch vy ss rims. That's a clear indicator that they're fake lol.

Yeah, i guess you're right; wouldn't be hard to forge.

Well, the rims still have tyres on them, so i'll look for the R19 i guess.

As said above by crew_man...
Wheeldemon are not a Holden wheel manufacturer. They are only a reseller the same as other businesses like WheelKing, JHP & Holmart for example.
I am sure that some people would freak out if they new that some Holden genuine wheels had been manufactured in Thailand.
And yes these "Thailand" genuine holden wheels have GMH symbols and part numbers cast into the back of the spokes during manufacture.

# I have genuine VY CV8R Monaro rims on my VZ 1 Tonner. Bought them brand new in the box from JHP in Melbourne. When I opened the boxes I found evidence that they were manufactured in Thailand.... at first I thought I had been sold cheap knock off wheels.
So long story short I did some research and found out that some holden wheels were actually manufactured in Thailand. I am glad I chose to research this first instead of getting on the phone and asking for a please explain, because I would have sounded like a real d##khead telling them I thought they had sold me knock off wheels
# These links below are to sales on Ebay for genuine VZ SS rims & a VY CV8R rim by Wheelking. It took me all of maybe 2 minutes to find these. If you are interested, read the "Item Specific" information in the ad.
NEW SET 4 Genuine GMH VZ SS 18x8 Bare Rims NO Caps Suits VR TO VZ | eBay
# These are the rims I have on my 1 Tonner:
NEW Marked Genuine GMH VY CV8 R 18x8 Bare RIM Singles Suits VR TO VZ | eBay

Ahk, that's interesting. I would have thought the same, didn't expect them to be from Thailand.

I would like to go through wheelking, but they're so damn expensive. I guess they are all brand new.. but still.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
They're made by Enkei at their Thailand factory, so don't let the country of origin fool you, they are well manufactured

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline

I don't know about the supersports, but VY SS rims came in 17" for Utes, and 18" for sedans.