Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV's New Release "A Rare Beast"

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Ls3 is not in run out. Expect to see it in your regular garden variety Holden ss in vf2 guise

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Except for the GTS i dont see HSVs as all that special. Underneath the plastic and some metal its basically an SS with a few bolt ons isnt it?
Edit: its ok hot work permit has been filled out and the CO2 is ready.

I thought the old stroker 215i was a bit special, VN group A, VS GTSR, the 300kw VT GTS with the Callaway LS1 was cool. Those are what i would call a special Holden. Still at least we have a large range to choose from.

Some more, easily available, drive line tech would be great imo. For those prepared to pay a premium price it would be nice to have a true premium vehicle . . . such as the GTS.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
...said one person ever.

C'mon, if everyone said the same thing then this place would be dull, right?

My view is that the venerable, magical LS3 is an eight year old, overrated, outdated POS engine frankly... and the LSA is practically only marginally better because it has a piddly blower strapped on it. Both ineffective, inefficient old school same same POSeses.

In the large scheme of things sure a blower (LSA / LS9) is better than what we already have (L77), so is a seven litre (LS7), but in terms of a performance upgrade the LS3 is a slap in the face. Retrograde, not upgrade.

Forget Forced Induction for a moment, GM already has the LT1 which is clearly an upgrade to the LS3, not because of the Direct Injection but mainly because of the benefits of Variable Valve Timing.

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
A gtsR maybe . And an extra $15,000 for the letter R

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
C'mon, if everyone said the same thing then this place would be dull, right?

My view is that the venerable, magical LS3 is an eight year old, overrated, outdated POS engine frankly... and the LSA is practically only marginally better because it has a piddly blower strapped on it. Both ineffective, inefficient old school same same POSeses.

In the large scheme of things sure a blower (LSA / LS9) is better than what we already have (L77), so is a seven litre (LS7), but in terms of a performance upgrade the LS3 is a slap in the face. Retrograde, not upgrade.

Forget Forced Induction for a moment, GM already has the LT1 which is clearly an upgrade to the LS3, not because of the Direct Injection but mainly because of the benefits of Variable Valve Timing.
7lt and supercharged badges sell cars, not VVT and AFM.
Simple.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Ls3 is not in run out. Expect to see it in your regular garden variety Holden ss in vf2 guise

Certainly not in a run out. But theyre definitely trying to flog off as many as they can under the HSV guise while they can. This "A Rare Beast" monicker is dressing up the same old ****.

Theres really nothing special about it other than theyre only building a handful of them.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Certainly not in a run out. But theyre definitely trying to flog off as many as they can under the HSV guise while they can. This "A Rare Beast" monicker is dressing up the same old ****.

Theres really nothing special about it other than theyre only building a handful of them.

No 2 ways about it - the only GenF worth buying has an LSA badge on it and this is just another in a long line of sticker specials. The last true 'limited edition' worth buying pre GTS Maloo was the W427 from a technical upgrade point of view.