Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ideas for a modern classic

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hello all,

This year I'm looking at flipping the Volvo and get something a bit more modern and sporty as my hobby/club car.

My budget is likely to be around 10k. I'm looking at a 15-20 yr old performance car that has future classic potential, at the bottom of the depreciation cycle that's still sort of common and not too hard to find a good example of (before attrition means they all disappear). Something with future positive resale would be a bonus. Looking for clean original examples I can display at shows, looking for the best car for my budget without too much work (I don't want any more projects!).

As this is a Commodore forum, obviously folks would suggest an SS Commodore. This is on my short list. VT-VZ models still relatively easy to find. Parts easy to get with solid future resale potential.

Other cars I have considered include:
- BMW 3-series E46 (preferably 6cyl)
- BMW 5-series
- Mazda MX-5
- Subaru Impreza WRX
- Lexus IS
- VW Golf GTi (4th-5th gen)
- Mini Cooper S
- Ford Focus XR5
- Ford Falcon XR8 BA

Ideas? Thoughts? Anything else I could consider?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'd look for a 6L VZ myself however if you are wanting something different then a WRX is easy cheap fast.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I thought the rareity of a Manual may appeal. Not many IS300s in manual either.
(And they have the look of a latter day LJ Torana, in the right light, from a distance, if you squint.)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
You seem to have a preference for a SS. What about a V6 SS ( not a typo, the homolgated version for series production racing) for collectability.
Although I suspect that now, you may only find one near the rear end of a rocking horse.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you were looking at a late model Holden as a classic, perhaps a less common variant might suit.

There are plenty of VZ SS's around but why not a late production VZ 6 litre Calais? Performance similar to the SS, with the luxury of a Calais and comparitive rarity. To add to the benefit of rarity is the reasonable cost and the lower likelihood of the car having been abused.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you were looking at a late model Holden as a classic, perhaps a less common variant might suit.

There are plenty of VZ SS's around but why not a late production VZ 6 litre Calais? Performance similar to the SS, with the luxury of a Calais and comparitive rarity. To add to the benefit of rarity is the reasonable cost and the lower likelihood of the car having been abused.
That is a possibility - however I am looking at something a little older where there is virtually no more depreciation left (15-20 yrs).

VTII-VY Clais with Gen3 could be the go.

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'd be looking at a VT-VY senator or Grange, purely on numbers there's bugger all of them around. Eyy picked up a VT senator I think it was for around 7k a couple of months back.