Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition/key problem

cricket19590

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VS Commodore
Help... ignition turns but car doesn't always start...have (!) on dash at all times...even when engine is running...central locking doesn't work either.....

bricat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Calais 5.7 A4
According to owners hand book 1-6 That indicates park brake is on when you first turn on ignition. If symbol illuminates whilst driving and park brake is released then a fualt with the brakes is indicated. Get checked straight away. cheers Brian

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
According to owners hand book 1-6 That indicates park brake is on when you first turn on ignition. If symbol illuminates whilst driving and park brake is released then a fualt with the brakes is indicated. Get checked straight away. cheers Brian

I'm not sure which model he is referring to because although he has posted in the VT section his ride indicates he has a VS. If he has a VS then I think that symbol means something different than handbrake warning. I seem to recall once when I was answering a question about that symbol in the VS section I also said it was a handbrake warning but I was told it meant something else but I can't remember what it was.

cricket19590

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VS Commodore
HI...had RACV out today and they found a fault with the earth wire on ignition relay??I think...car now starts each time but appears there may be another earth wire issue as central locking doesn't operate and ignition lights stay on even when car is running....Is a 1998 commodore and belongs to my son so could be the handbrake symbol...I've never driven it...we just get it when something goes wrong!!!!...Does anyone know if there is a common problem with these cars to point us in the right direction or will it just be a matter of trial and error????...Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
The ignition lights staying could be due to a faulty ignition switch, only a guess though.

cricket19590

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VS Commodore
no...they checked ignition switch...heater fan, electric windows, remote on key and central locking along with ignition lights(air bag/ oil lamp) and a yellow icon on left side of instrument panel (could be an general fault warning light)...don't have an owners manual ....car now starts but want to find problem...any way I can get a wiring diagram????
thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
no...they checked ignition switch...heater fan, electric windows, remote on key and central locking along with ignition lights(air bag/ oil lamp) and a yellow icon on left side of instrument panel (could be an general fault warning light)...don't have an owners manual ....car now starts but want to find problem...any way I can get a wiring diagram????
thanks
That icon is the check engine light, that means at least one or more fault code should have been logged. Check the fault codes. https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vt-vx.23665.
I can scan a wiring diagram for you but I need to know which one as there are quite a few covering different things.

cricket19590

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VS Commodore
Hi..can you tell me what colour the earth wire for these accessories is...have been reading some of the threads and faults resemble a damaged wire in the loom from the BCM...loom situated on LH rear of the engine compartment...or scan me a copy of this would be great...need to know wiring colours though...
Thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is this one any good to you?

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 14,836

cricket19590

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VS Commodore
Hi, definitely an earth wire fault...earthed power windows and they work...can you tell me where and the color of the common earth wire for engine relay, window relay, heater fan relay is located...

thanks