Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] info on Towing a car trailer

dzach23

Bra Bra Potato Potato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina Series 1 genesis blue
i'm picking up a car tomorrow and was after information about towing with a car trailer.

Towing vehicle: VX V6
car being tower: 1979 Corolla coupe
Car trailer: servo car trailer

Any info will Be a great help.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
All I can say is hook the cable on the trailer up to the tow hook, strap the rear wheels down, and accelerate slower than usual. Keep it a bit lower on the speed maybe 10kmh under if you are in a hilly area otherwise it will chew through the petrol. Give plenty of stopping distance. Oh, and don't jump on the brakes coz the trailer wheels could lock up.

Also, I guess it is auto, 3rd gear is good. Your user manual should have a section on towing which could be helpful.

trav_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss and vs statesman
take it nice and slow u will get there eventually heavy car up front is normally good

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Give yourself plenty of braking distance, ie keep a good gap in front of you, my son towed a hired servo trailer with a VH Commodore on it, tow car was a VN SS, he had to brake on a wet road due to someone stopping quickly up front and we had no hope, the VN SS locked the front wheels and we sailed into the back of the car in front, just too much weight and the wet road for the VN to cope with, later we wondered if the hydraulic trailer brakes were actually working. Take it slow and give yourself plenty of room to stop.

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
steering will be lighter, and it will wonder down the road. that was towing an ed with a VR though, so the car getting towed woulda been heavier...

dzach23

Bra Bra Potato Potato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina Series 1 genesis blue
well i made it their and back my only concern was/is when i was accelerating the car had a slight shuddering backwards and forward
that and my pain in the arse brother who complained i wasn't accelerating hard enough and that my exhaust was slowing my car and making it gutless and amongst other things...

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
well i made it their and back my only concern was/is when i was accelerating the car had a slight shuddering backwards and forward
that and my pain in the arse brother who complained i wasn't accelerating hard enough and that my exhaust was slowing my car and making it gutless and amongst other things...

That seems to be common when you are towing a long heavy load like a car.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
as this will help it not to sway wich is very f***ing dangerous lol.
i can tick that off the "things to do list". we did that on the f6 coming from wollongong,backwards into the guard rail. scary **** fishying up the highway