Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Inlet manifold gasket

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
Hey guys, I'm losing about a liter of oil every 3,000 or so, the car's only done 150xxx and there's no leaks or burning signs although It's building up oil in the cooling system, hoping that's where it's all ending up so I'm going to change the inlet manifold gasket.. my question is if i purchase the mace gasket set for vx what else do i need for the job? also it's probably worth replacing the pcv valve i'm told. where can i grab one of these? cheers.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Very common issue. It's a pretty easy job, just make sure to grab some thread sealer for the manifold bolts and blue rtv for the corners of the valley. I only use Permatex high performance stuff, never had a problem. You can grab a PCV from any auto store or eBay.

Keep in mind when the system has been running at lower than normal pressure for a while, after you fix it other components might go pop. Id suggest running straight water for a few days before you drop $50 of coolant in there.

Salada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual
Very common issue. It's a pretty easy job, just make sure to grab some thread sealer for the manifold bolts and blue rtv for the corners of the valley. I only use Permatex high performance stuff, never had a problem. You can grab a PCV from any auto store or eBay.

Keep in mind when the system has been running at lower than normal pressure for a while, after you fix it other components might go pop. Id suggest running straight water for a few days before you drop $50 of coolant in there.

alrighty, thanks for that. i'll grab those and give it a go this weekend :)

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Hey guy's, can you confirm what torque to do the manifold bolts up to with the alloy manifold gaskets. Is it 16nm (approx 12 ft lb) like the standard plastic gasket. It just seems so little torque to hold such a critical part together.

Thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Standard tension on the bolts will be fine, I have used a little more without issue. Just make sure you use either sealant or thread locker on the bolts so they don't come loose.

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Ok, but if I use thread lock / sealant on the bolts won't re tensioning the bolts encorage them to leak?

What sealant do you recommend for the threads Steve?

Cheers

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Make sure to use thread sealant, not locker, which is why it's best to re-tension after a week - the stuff stays wet and the silicone seals on the gasket will compress a touch.