Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a Stereo into a VN - VS

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
hey i have a issue,
i have a 89 VN calais
the calais and exec headunit are quite diffrent,
i followed this instruction to the exact word, except i got lost around

disconnect heater control rod next to where your left ankle would sit on drivers side , little white clip on swing arm

swinging arm?

Im gonna have another crack at it tommorrow

the tutorial is also incomplete in the fact that it isnt as easy as removing 2 screws and pulling it out.. (with my calais anyway)

ohwell if anyway can take a photo of the heater control rod i would be greatful as i have no idea what it looks like but i will look again tommorrow

i also have the issue of i cant get the console plastic cover off.. i read a review that said to take the gear cover off... when we did my bros VN exec i remember never taking that off, or taking the glove box out... ( i had someone with me who had done it before tho ) maby i cant find the heater control rod because its shielded by the cover ( all teh screws are undone)

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline, VL Exec, VY Berlina
Your Calais has climate control, so you don't have heater control rod. (The heater control rod is connected to the temperature knob on the console of lower spec models). So I believe you can ignore this step. The gear cover needs to come off, or at least be lifted up, so you can get to the screws at the bottom of the centre dash fascia.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
thanks, mm however i have attempted to remove the cover but it wont come off, there is 3 srews each side and and 3 at the bottom ? (more holding the cover for the rack, ill take photos if im more confused..) im scared to force it out as i dont want to break it..

is there any screws/ clips i missed? the old head unit is being held in by some kind of mounting bracket on the right side of the headunit, this is the only thing from stopping me removing the old head unit.

cheers

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline, VL Exec, VY Berlina
I haven't looked at a VR/VS properly for a while, but from memory once you undo the 3 screws at the bottom, the surround is only held in by spring clips, from which the surround should just pull straight out of.

When removing the headunit (again from memory) you undo the brackets from the dash frame and pull the headunit and brackets out together, once the headunit is out then remove the brackets from it.

The instructions at the start of this thread are very good, if you follow it step by step you should be fine. Good luck!

N

novis

Darren said:
Tools Needed
  • 250mm Shifter
  • Small & Medium Sized Flat Head Screwdriver
  • Medium Sized Philips Head Screwdriver
  • Wire Cutters
  • Crimping Tool

Other Material/s Needed
  • Bullet/Spade Connectors both male and female
  • Electrical Tape
  • Soldering Iron and Solder (If you are going to solder all connections)

Installing a head unit into a Commodore is easier than you think, wiring can be a bit tricky but I have put together a spreadsheet with all the wiring colours for all Commodores with the original Eurovox stereos which should save a fair bit of time. The wiring colour spreadsheet can be found here in the Car Audio section.

Here is how to go about the removal/installation of a head unit:

Before going any further Disconnect the battery! This is Very important! If you fail to do this you could damage the old head unit or damage the new head unit during the installation which could result in a useless piece of metal.

1. Pull out the ashtray.
  2. Pull out the plastic surrounding cigarette lighter and transmission gear selector. You will find it only comes out a little way, slide your hand underneath and remove the connections attached to the cigarette lighter. To make this process a little easier I tend to put the transmission into 1 meaning it is right down the bottom which gives you maximum room, keep in mind it is very wise to have the handbrake on if the transmission is out of park for obvious reasons.
  3. Undo the 3 screws at the base of the plastic surround which fits neatly around the existing head unit and speed controller/temperature control unit.
  4. Gently pull towards the rear of the car as there are clips which should let go with a bit of force. Once this is free disconnect the blue plug from the A/C switch. On the right hand side where the temperature control you will find 1 philips head screw about half way down on the left hand side, remove this and then pull the fan speed controller out a little bit to disconnect the 3 connectors or 2 if climate control is installed and pop it out of harms way.
  5. Look behind the plastic cover which sits just in front of the firewall on the drivers side and you will see a metal rod with a thread on it attached to a plastic clip holding the rod, place a small flathead screwdriver at the top and prise plastic tab towards the right of the car which should enable you to remove the rod with ease. Also keep in mind there is a copper pipe there, if the car has been running this will be hot and believe me it does burn as I have found out a number of times.
  6. If the head unit is original or has similar brackets you will find 2 screws, 1 located on either side of the stereo which holds the head unit in place, remove these using a philips head screwdriver and the head unit will slide out toward the rear of the car. Once the head unit is out enough for you to get to the back remove any cabling including the aerial connection and/or RCA leads from the rear of the head unit ensuring you have some idea where they came from. It may pay at this point before taking them out to use a bit of masking tape and label each one. Don't throw away the stereo unit just yet as you will be needing it shortly.
  7. To enable easy access to any brackets which may need changed it is best to remove the complete surround around the temperature control. Open the glove box and leave it there, you will see directly in front 3 philips head screws which need to be removed. On the right hand side where the drop tray is you will need to use a flathead screwdriver to rotate the plastic screws 90 degrees which will allow it to drop down and it shouldn't get in the way.

Removing the surround can be a little frustrating and may appear to get caught as there are lugs which hold it firmly in place on the centre console but a bit of persuasion and patience it will come out.

8. If for some reason you do need to remove the glove box and drop tray here is how you go about it
    Glove box - On the right hand side looking at it you will find a black pin which can be prised out with a small flathead screwdriver.
    Drop Tray - On the left hand side looking at the tray you will find a black pin (same as the glove box) which can be prised out with a small flathead screwdriver.
  9. Since the head unit is now out of the car, you can now remove the mounting brackets from the head unit, this will vary from make to make but generally philips head screws are used.
  10. Screw the brackets you just took off onto the new head unit assuming they fit otherwise go to your nearest audio stockist and see whether they have one or simply make one yourself if you have the appropriate tools and know how.
  11. Now for the fun bit - wiring. Basically match up the colours on the colour chart available from the downloads section with the new wiring loom on the new head unit, if in doubt with the new wiring loom refer to the wiring diagram that came with it. For all connections I like to use the bullet or spade type connectors and then some electrical tape around the connections to make sure they touch. Alternatively twitch the connections together, solder them up and use some electrical tape around them or heat shrink.
  12. Once the above is done plug in the wiring loom into the new head unit, replace the battery terminal and switch on the ignition just to see whether everything works as it should, if it does good job and its time to put everything back together otherwise just go back over the wiring and ensure everything is connected correctly. If things still aren't good I would start looking at whether the head unit is buggered up.
  13. To put everything back together do everything in reverse, making sure that wires are nicely taped up together and aren't going to get crushed to pieces when the head unit is screwed back into position.

When putting the screws back in you may want to consider getting some torx screws making it that little bit harder for thieves to take your stereo if they have the urge. Lets face it if they want it they'll get it no matter what but hey why not make it that little bit harder. If you decide this option you will need the driver to go with it, the best place to get these is Dick Smiths, Tandy's or Jaycar.

Well there you have it, there are many different ways to go about installing a head unit, this is the way I have done it a number of times and it has worked for me on each occasion. If you do have an easier way please drop me a email and I'll put up your recommendation along with credit where it is due.
The link to the wiring colour spreadsheet is not working at the moment. Is it still available or has it been taken down?
Thanks

gusto45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
Thanks Darren, your detailed tutorial and wiring diagram were very helpful, I have just finished my first install of a JVC KD-615 in my 1991 Commodore VN. It was a pretty big job (for me, having never done it before...more arkward than anything..)

I had a couple of wiring problems, and just wanted to share with other users incase they come accross it. According to darren's wiring spreadsheet the orange/white cable is Battery 12V, and the red/yellow is the constant 12V. In my car the Red/yellow had no voltage on it, i tested it with the light switch and dimmer control and ignition. So i dunno but no voltage, whereas the orange/white had a constant 12V, so i used that for my constant. Everything else seemed right. I was freaking out a bit there because i was getting no power. I also could not find a dimmer cable in mine, I had no brown/white cable. And what could the yellow/red be for? perhaps it is disconneted somewhere along the line. Anyway it is all working now! hope this helps someone as it would have me!

c ya,
Gus

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
there are some...half of the time they dont work though. another way is opening your cd player and wiring the leads onto the board in all the right places, not something I would suggest for anyone who isn't an electronics technician. Please also bear in mind the fact that this destroys the warrranty on your HU. I have done several of these and always takes me hours.

C

Cliff64

wiring looms

I was in super cheap auto the other day and noticed they now have adaptor loom assemblys to suit most popular models of Australian cars to fit any head unit with iso connectors.This would save a lot of hassle .Has anyone used or know of anyone who has used one.

Cliff
:bang:

Arth

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
(Edit) - Never mind, found it.

D

Doep

KAL SPL said:
disconnect heater control rod next to where your left ankle would sit on drivers side , little white clip on swing arm
drop panel below steering column ,3 clips twist 90 degrees
3 screws down driver side of dash facia
drop glove box 1 clip in box at rear right , slide clip out towards passenger side
3 screws down passenger side of dash facia
remove ashtray
remove panel around shifter clipped in only and slide back
3 screws along bottom of center facia panel
unclip facia panel carefully
Unplug the LED for immobiliser (this sux)
4 screw hold dash facia and 1 in AC controls
2 plugs in rear of AC controls + 1 hose cluster
undo 2 Large chrome screws going straight down and console will drop
remove dash facia
2 screws holding deck in

Orange = constant 12V
yellow = accesories
Black = earth
Brown/white = illumination
yellow/red = elec aerial
dark green & light green = front right (DG-)
tan & grey = front left (G-)
dark/black & blue red = rear right (DB-)
brown/black & yellow/blue = rear left (YB-)

There is 3 screws holding the brackets to the deck , if you drill a new hole between the 2 screws that are towards the front of the bracket it will line up with most after market decks and will screw straight in and look stock again.
Need to drill on the white dots.
421452_280_full.jpg
Does this wiring key apply to VH's also? Can't find a wiring code for my VH commodore.