Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing factory HUD on my vf sv6.. feasible?

mz2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFii Commodore SV6
So recently I bought an head up display gadget from ebay, it's totally junk.. checked a hud equiped new sv6 on dealer's yard, found it's an optic device buried within dashboard.. just thinking is it possible to install it on mine?

Maybe I need to swap the whole dashboard unless drilling a hole to fit it in.. but if the hud is just a modularized part I think it's quite feasible (all parts can be sourced from wreckers). My guess is there're some redundant ports (obd2, satnav, etc.) dangling there for the HUD, hidden under the dash.. from a system design point of view such redundancy is quite normal. I've just bought a vf service manual to see what's actually going on down there LoL.

Any thoughts?

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I think the cost and effort involved would be prohibitive. For starters you would need a new HUD specific windscreen which isn't cheap.
As for the dashboard, it would probably need to be replaced too as I doubt you could just cut a hole, nor would you want to butcher the dash of an almost brand new car.
Then there is the question of the electronics - You would have to find out whether the loom is already there and it's just a matter of finding the right plugs, if its not then forget about it. After all that you would still have to have your bcm re-programmed etc to make it work
Honestly, it is probably cheaper and easier to sell your car and buy another SV6 with HUD from factory.

mz2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFii Commodore SV6
I think the cost and effort involved would be prohibitive. For starters you would need a new HUD specific windscreen which isn't cheap.
As for the dashboard, it would probably need to be replaced too as I doubt you could just cut a hole, nor would you want to butcher the dash of an almost brand new car.
Then there is the question of the electronics - You would have to find out whether the loom is already there and it's just a matter of finding the right plugs, if its not then forget about it. After all that you would still have to have your bcm re-programmed etc to make it work
Honestly, it is probably cheaper and easier to sell your car and buy another SV6 with HUD from factory.

Good point.. the windshield must have some special coating to prevent double reflection. No wonder it's not an optional add-on like the satellite nav..

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Good point.. the windshield must have some special coating to prevent double reflection. No wonder it's not an optional add-on like the satellite nav..
Oh I like this topic. Im yet to see anyone actually give it a whirl.

These HUDs are starting to become cheaper and readily available from wreckers since... well.. no-ones buying and fitting the.

First up, I don't thing there is wiring under there. I personally haven't checked but I do not believe there is. A section of wiring needs to be replaced if I recall if wanting plug and play. Otherwise the main wires need to be tapped into the body loom (Power and communication).

As for programming, none needed. I can fire it up on the bench without any issues.

Now the two parts which everyone gets hung up on.. cutting a whole and the windscreen.
Ultimately.. replacing the dash would be the best idea. Probably expensive but a cleaner option. Otherwise you will need to measure out the hole you want to cut.. give a bit of 'leeway' to ensure you don't cut too large and keep trimming till its a snug fit.

As for the windscreen. It might be special.. but.. is it reaaaalllyyy that necessary. Not sure if anyone's done it before but there are apps on smartphones which can act as a HUD and are designed to reflect the image onto the windscreen. I found the image was fine to see. The proper windscreen probably makes a difference but I don't think its 100% necessary.

Iv not given this a go, and neither have I done it for a client. Since the thought of cutting through the top part of the dash.. isnt exactly inviting.
But I have had it fired up outside of car.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Oh I like this topic. Im yet to see anyone actually give it a whirl.

These HUDs are starting to become cheaper and readily available from wreckers since... well.. no-ones buying and fitting the.

First up, I don't thing there is wiring under there. I personally haven't checked but I do not believe there is. A section of wiring needs to be replaced if I recall if wanting plug and play. Otherwise the main wires need to be tapped into the body loom (Power and communication).

As for programming, none needed. I can fire it up on the bench without any issues.

Now the two parts which everyone gets hung up on.. cutting a whole and the windscreen.
Ultimately.. replacing the dash would be the best idea. Probably expensive but a cleaner option. Otherwise you will need to measure out the hole you want to cut.. give a bit of 'leeway' to ensure you don't cut too large and keep trimming till its a snug fit.

As for the windscreen. It might be special.. but.. is it reaaaalllyyy that necessary. Not sure if anyone's done it before but there are apps on smartphones which can act as a HUD and are designed to reflect the image onto the windscreen. I found the image was fine to see. The proper windscreen probably makes a difference but I don't think its 100% necessary.

Iv not given this a go, and neither have I done it for a client. Since the thought of cutting through the top part of the dash.. isnt exactly inviting.
But I have had it fired up outside of car.
I followed this Last year and its just about Impossible to do. For start the Cost of New Windscreen dash and just about everything underneath has to be changed including the wiring Harness. I give up And did it my way and it Perfect!! for under $400 including the Genuine Hood Cover and Tray + the Factory HUD Switch where I use half of it to make my Aftermarket HUD to work + the Aftermarket HUD. I find my Old post and put a Link here

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/my-hud-for-the-sv6-using-an-echoman-em05.253553/

I purchase three of these units for testing and Use (Done my mate car Too to be EXACTLY like our SV6) and after improving them from the original post and Photos I was able to control the HUD by the one Rotary switch modified by me.

Today Its still working VERY GOOD! and it tests everything you need to Know including and adjustable driving tired Alarm, Speed you are doing, Distance Traveled From your Home once you car stops at Traffic Lights of Stop Sign and once you drive off it reverts back to the speed, Battery Voltage and Alarm Adjustable by you, Temp Adjustable By you, If the Car Develops a Fault and your Engine Light comes on in your Dash Board It will Displace the Fault in Brief and you ALSO RESET THE FAULT for you IF NEEDED!! see you Dash Fault Light Go off (hope it stays Off), You can set the Hud for Driving Tired as Sets from 1 Minutes to 4Hours in 1 min steps and when you set it "Example" Say 2 Hours a HORRIBLE ALARM GOES OFF when it reaches 2 Hours, A good RPM Meter, set the RPM Range so you dont Over Rev the Engine. I forget the rest it does. Argh another The fuel eco mode. The time. All this can be set buy have two Fully function separate windows.
The HUD is the Brightest I ever Seen for any aftermarket HUD. I Use NO stick on **** on the Windscreen. It has Adjustable Brightest Control as It nigh it would be too Bright!! ( One the test HUD I stuffed up and late Fixed the Sensor so it Defaulted to Bright All the time and it was unbearable to drive at night.

The Original HUD in a SV6 can be done but for an Expensive exercise possible over $4000 so I said to myself how can I do this so it looks good, works and cost under $500

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/my-hud-for-the-sv6-using-an-echoman-em05.253553/

I purchase three of these units for testing and Use (Done my mate car Too to be EXACTLY like our SV6) and after improving them from the original post and Photos I was able to control the HUD by the one Rotary switch modified by me.

Today Its still working VERY GOOD! and it tests everything you need to Know including and adjustable driving tired Alarm, Speed you are doing, Distance Traveled From your Home once you car stops at Traffic Lights of Stop Sign and once you drive off it reverts back to the speed, Battery Voltage and Alarm Adjustable by you, Temp Adjustable By you, If the Car Develops a Fault and your Engine Light comes on in your Dash Board It will Displace the Fault in Brief and you ALSO RESET THE FAULT for you IF NEEDED!! see you Dash Fault Light Go off (hope it stays Off), You can set the Hud for Driving Tired as Sets from 1 Minutes to 4Hours in 1 min steps and when you set it "Example" Say 2 Hours a HORRIBLE ALARM GOES OFF when it reaches 2 Hours, A good RPM Meter, set the RPM Range so you dont Over Rev the Engine. I forget the rest it does. Argh another The fuel eco mode. The time. All this can be set buy have two Fully function separate windows.
The HUD is the Brightest I ever Seen for any aftermarket HUD. I Use NO stick on **** on the Windscreen. It has Adjustable Brightest Control as It nigh it would be too Bright!! ( One the test HUD I stuffed up and late Fixed the Sensor so it Defaulted to Bright All the time and it was unbearable to drive at night.

The Original HUD in a SV6 can be done but for an Expensive exercise possible over $4000 so I said to myself how can I do this so it looks good, works and cost under $500
Clever stuff. Well done, again.

Flo Rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6

Very cool.