Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interceptors J and JJ differences

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Hey all i have 4 x interceptor rims.

2 x 15x7jj
1 x 15x6jj
1 x 15x6j

What is the difference between the jj and the single j on the rim?

Cheers all.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
The jj have a higher load rating, not sure exactly what it is though.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
From memory it has to do with the shape of the flange where the tyre mounts to the rim, I think the "J" refers to a "safety bead" that's suppose to keep the tyre in place even if it goes flat, so you retain at least some control of the car if you have a blowout at speed.

I could be wrong of course but I think the difference between "J" and "JJ" is that the former only has one safety bead whereas the latter has a safety bead on both the inner and outer?

There are also other flange profiles around like "B" and "K" (you see these mostly on really old rims) and you have to ensure the tyres you fit to these rims suit the shape of the flange.

I have it in the back of my mind that Australian Design Rules specified that all rims be "JJ" decades ago for safety reasons, maybe someone can confirm?

Andrew

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
From memory it has to do with the shape of the flange where the tyre mounts to the rim, I think the "J" refers to a "safety bead" that's suppose to keep the tyre in place even if it goes flat, so you retain at least some control of the car if you have a blowout at speed.

I could be wrong of course but I think the difference between "J" and "JJ" is that the former only has one safety bead whereas the latter has a safety bead on both the inner and outer?

There are also other flange profiles around like "B" and "K" (you see these mostly on really old rims) and you have to ensure the tyres you fit to these rims suit the shape of the flange.

I have it in the back of my mind that Australian Design Rules specified that all rims be "JJ" decades ago for safety reasons, maybe someone can confirm?

Andrew
So it should not matter if i fit 3 x jj and 1 x j. Cheers

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
A "6J15" and a "6JJ15" are both 6" wide (between the beads) x 15" diameter, but you'd need to check whether a "J" rim is legal to use, I think you'll find that the odd rim may be off an imported vehicle or similar?

I also recall that any rim fitted to a vehicle must have the manufacturer's name stamped into it too?

Andrew

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
A "6J15" and a "6JJ15" are both 6" wide (between the beads) x 15" diameter, but you'd need to check whether a "J" rim is legal to use, I think you'll find that the odd rim may be off an imported vehicle or similar?

I also recall that any rim fitted to a vehicle must have the manufacturer's name stamped into it too?

Andrew

They are all GM interceptors which came off holden vehicles i got them from a holden wreckers. They have the GM stamped on them. To look at them they are all identical.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
I just rang 4 different wheel and tyre shops and they all said it makes no difference and you can run that rim with the other 3 no problems, they said the dimensions are the same..

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I stand corrected o_O

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Would probably be for the commercial vehicles utes, one tonners , crewmans . For the higher load rating ?