Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is 20% Tint too dark?

loku16

Reaction score
Website
www.addicted2fish.com.au
Members Ride
2010 VE SS-V Wagon
Well... i got done by the cops during a road blitz in melbourne at 10.30am. They blocked both sides of the street and checked each car for the tint with a device that measured the light transparency (i assumed). Mine was one shade darker than the 35% and now have to get the two front ones re done. No fine luckily and only a minor defect notice. :) But still a pain in the butt to get things organised. He said mine was 8% lower than the legal limit after measuring it. I sort of argued that if the factory put a 5% tint and that if the legal tint was put on and the instrument he used had about 5% error margin, then that would account for the 8% error he was receiving..... it was a nice try and he just looked at me and told me to just get it done! Didn't argue as I didn't want him to measure the db on my exhaust hahahahahahahaha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SPORTSWAGON MY10 SIDI
haha nice try!
so u only had to change your 2 front passanger windows? i thought because you have a passanger and drivers side mirror than you can get the rear of the car as dark as you like?

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
Honestly, you're a tool if you had 5% all round. Way to drive blind at night. Good thing the cops defected you before you pulled in front of someone because you couldn't see.

then i guess im a tool ... its not as bad as you think

bdc74

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A Yet
Front windows can only be darkest legal, rear window and rear passenger windows etc can be darker.

This is highly dependent on what state you are talking about. In Vic, the darkest legal tint on ALL windows regardless of type of car is 35%

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Thought I would post a link up for Western Australian Law. I know the OP is in SA, but its interesting to know how they word the law.

As you will read, even if the car has factory tint, the TOTAL light tramittance through the windows cannot be less than 35%. So this means that just getting 35% tint installed, definetely does not mean that your car is going to stay legal.

Alot of 4wd import vehicles come from the factory with privacy glass (which passes Australian Design Rules for Imported Vehicles) on the rear windows which is equal to 20% tint and sometimes even 5% it seems. Obviously this example also shows that if you installed 35% tint on these privacy glassed windows, your car can be defected. And the law doesn't allow you to tint the front windows to match the rear windows. The 35% rule still applies.

ROAD TRAFFIC (VEHICLE STANDARDS) RULES 2002 - REG 38

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
This is highly dependent on what state you are talking about. In Vic, the darkest legal tint on ALL windows regardless of type of car is 35%
This is correct for Victoria. See attachment.

Well... i got done by the cops during a road blitz in melbourne at 10.30am. They blocked both sides of the street and checked each car for the tint with a device that measured the light transparency (i assumed). Mine was one shade darker than the 35% and now have to get the two front ones re done. No fine luckily and only a minor defect notice. :) But still a pain in the butt to get things organised. He said mine was 8% lower than the legal limit after measuring it. I sort of argued that if the factory put a 5% tint and that if the legal tint was put on and the instrument he used had about 5% error margin, then that would account for the 8% error he was receiving..... it was a nice try and he just looked at me and told me to just get it done! Didn't argue as I didn't want him to measure the db on my exhaust hahahahahahahaha
Which suburb? Need to know where to avoid :p I bought my car with tint already on it but it's clearly darker than legal I've had on previous cars.

Attachments

• VSI2web.pdf
    162.6 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

DeeVee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 190 - 2005
Ive got 20% all round on mine. looks nice but would prefer if it was a tad darker, like 15%. I have decent visibility while driving at night. wouldn't want to go to something like 5% tho.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SPORTSWAGON MY10 SIDI
untitled.jpg