Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is 20% Tint too dark?

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
ain't it funny how the law says 35% max limit yet the cops (up here at least) sit on the side of the road with their unmarked/marked bastard speed camera sedan/ wagon/ van /ute/ 4x4"s with 5% side and bottom half tinted 5%rear windows just so we " cough" law abiding motorists can't supposedly spot them- funny how they get away with it in the interests of " road safety". By the way up here in qld the back window of utes can be dark as you want and I'm sure the rear 1/4 windows can be also, as mine are -i looked it up on the qld trans web site

revinR1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
We had 15% on our Landcruiser wagon.Since I drove it mostly it wasnt a major concern but have to say 15% is way to dark if you do a lot of night driving.I used to put the window down to reverse at night or in underground carparks.Forget being able to see a trailer.That was a pain also.

Our VE has what looks like 35% and this I agree isnt dark enough (we it is for adults) but when you want to keep the sun off a baby it could be a little darker,but we bought them stick on shades :(

The tinter I use says he can get 25% and thats what we`ll probally get on wifes Aurion or next car

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
then i guess im a tool ... its not as bad as you think

Yes it is. I have it (legally mind you) on the side slider and rear window of my van (fronts are 35%). It's dark enough during the day time and night is worse.

I'll take a photo from inside and out and post it.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
d38556ea.jpg

501d38fa.jpg

e8a6d242.jpg

e054c617.jpg

I'll post pics at night later too. It doesn't look a great deal different during the day but the biggest issue is that when you do a head check you have a higher chance of missing what is beside you.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
The law on tint, at least in Vic, did allow for commercial vehicles and wagons to have windows rearward of any side doors any tint you like (correct me if I'm wrong) but now it has changed so all windows are legally allowed a max of 35%. There may also have been a loophole, where if the vehicle was manufactured before 1995, and the tint was applied before 1995 (who would know?) it is exempt from these rules, but then again I'm not sure if that is correct.

20% will be too too dark legally.

As for visibility, side windows should be ok even at night. Rear window should also be ok, but the angle of the rear windscreen will affect this to a degree.

If you do decide to get 20% Tint, then be well aware that it is defectable.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
yeah i had 20% all round on my vy ute, wasn't toooo bad on visibility at night, in the rain was a pain.-reverse parking into the garage at night,raining with the window down because i couldnt see was a pain. i had 5% on a HZ statey years ago ended up taking it off because i nearly cleaned up a pedestrian pulling into the driveway one night. scared the **** outta me that did. never again will i go that dark. but 20% is ok just be prepared for defects if mr plod gets you. also i'd go for the new carbon tint-3m black panther is good- as opposed to metalized as the carbon looks darker on the out side but is much better to see out of from the inside.