Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth changing factory catalytic converters to high flow catalytic converters on VE SV6 while installing aftermarket headers?

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Hi all,

I will be getting my Pacemaker headers put on my VE sv6 shortly.
Given that the factory cats have to be modified slightly to accomodate the new headers, is it worth upgrading aftermarket high flow cats as well?

Will I still reap the same sound/ performance difference of the Pacemaker headers while using stock catalytic converters? The rest of the exhaust is stock (minus some sort of aftermarket high flow muffler or muffler delete) and will remain stock as from what I have heard, it flows well enough for the N/A 6 and it will not reap much power, only sound.

Also, thoughts on header wrap? Useless, dangerous, or beneficial?

Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I doubt changing the cats will give much improvement, or rather probably not worth the expense for the potential gains.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Ceramic coat the headers, modify the stock cats to suit your chosen pipe size, the tune

Without a tune the parts are virtually pointless

As for noise (sound), noise doesn't make power, you can still have a reasonably quite car and make optimal power to a point

For a NA V6 you don't need big exhaust, the stock system '"should" be fine, keep the resonators, if you need to, replace the rear boxes only for more noise

Noisy cars are problematic

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Ceramic coat the headers, modify the stock cats to suit your chosen pipe size, the tune

Without a tune the parts are virtually pointless

As for noise (sound), noise doesn't make power, you can still have a reasonably quite car and make optimal power to a point

For a NA V6 you don't need big exhaust, the stock system '"should" be fine, keep the resonators, if you need to, replace the rear boxes only for more noise

Noisy cars are problematic
Cheers. So would I still need to get the car dyno tuned for the headers to work optimally?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Yes, any intake, exhaust mod, or any performance mod in general that deals with the engine, even bolt ons, needs a tune to suit

This is why doing all intake, exhaust, engine mods needs some dyno time to optimise efficiency, it is essential to gain the most bang for your buck

Forget about peak hp numbers, it is "area under the curve" that really matters

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Yes, any intake, exhaust mod, or any performance mod in general that deals with the engine, even bolt ons, needs a tune to suit

This is why doing all intake, exhaust, engine mods needs some dyno time to optimise efficiency, it is essential to gain the most bang for your buck

Forget about peak hp numbers, it is "area under the curve" that really matters
Makes sense. I reckon I will save for a dyno tune after I have finished applying the few mods I have bought for the car. So the stock cats on the VE sv6 are not too restrictive correct?
Cheers

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Most modern cats aren’t very restrictive to start with. Manufacturers have gotten a lot better at catalyst design to improve gas flow.

Car manufacturers don’t want excessive back pressure in a stock exhaust either as it’s not conducive to good fuel efficiency. Unless you’re going balls out for horsepower then it’s probably not worth the expense.

“However, if you have a stock engine with no modifications, and relatively new OEM catalytic converters, you won't see much of performance increase going with high flow cats. The catalytic converters on a stock vehicle (especially a newer stock vehicle) just aren't that restrictive until there have been significant performance upgrades.

Put more simply: If you've made major upgrades to your engine, which are defined as increasing power 20-30% (or more), then high flow cats are for you. If you've just added a cold air intake or performance engine tune, your money is probably better spent elsewhere.”

https://eurosporttuning.com/blog/high-flow-cats-worth-it/

Last edited: