Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth doing... ?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
That's good to know then.
Definitely not planning on doing competition type system.
Last time I did a sound system I blew way too much. I think my front splits back then were 6-700 worth and the rears were about 3-400 worth.
Definitely not looking to go that crazy.

Probably wanting to spend between 150-300 on a decent set of front splits.
The rear's from what I've been reading are near on pointless. So I'd say between $50-150 on those.

What's some reputable speakers these days ?
It's been a long time since I've messed around or looked at stereo's etc.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Highly recommend looking at Morel Tempo 6 splits, fantastic speakers, have them in my commodore, great on a budget and are roughly $300 shipped. Other GOOD models to note are in this article here.

From that article:
Crescendo Opus 1
Hertz ESK165
Morel Maximo 6

That is a link to an Australian forum called Mobile Electronics Australia, or MEA for short. A lot of great advice from some of the most knowledgable guys in the country when it comes to Car Audio etc.

As for exact prices, contact Marty Price over at FHRX Studios. They are based in Sydney, however generally they provide free shipping Australia wide.

Email is: [email protected]

Try to stay away from brands such as Alpine etc. they really are average for the amount of hype they receive, people tend to think they're fully sick because of the brand on the box. Crescendo, Hertz and Morel are HIGHLY regarded brand names within the PROFESSIONAL crowd.

:)

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Nice, thanks for that info.

There I was thinking Alpine and Pioneer were still good :p

Looks like those highly recommended ones by mea for 2011, the hertz ESK165 I can get for about $130 haha

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
All though it's not nessacary, i would run new wiring. It doesn't have to be expensive, i've been using this stuff lately for both home and car audio and i can't fault it. Really flexible with it's silicone jacket, you can pick up a 25 meter roll of the 14 awg from Bunnings for about $30, so at $1 something a meter it's good value. outdoor speakers speaker cable If you looking in Bunning's they don't usually put it with the rest of the cable / wire, it's with the outdoor lighting.

For what it's worth i have speaker cable valued at $45 per meter on my fronts at home, and i can't tell the difference between the two when listening

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
MAG00's info is the typical bandwagon brands that they always push on MEA. Go listen to speakers in your price range at chain and independent stores to see what speakers you like. Definitely don't stay away from the mainstream brands as recommended above.

Alpine and Pioneer are decent at the top end of their price range, in your price range they probably don't compare to other brands out there but you should decide that with your own ears, don't trust forum poster's ears :)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
All though it's not nessacary, i would run new wiring. It doesn't have to be expensive, i've been using this stuff lately for both home and car audio and i can't fault it. Really flexible with it's silicone jacket, you can pick up a 25 meter roll of the 14 awg from Bunnings for about $30, so at $1 something a meter it's good value. outdoor speakers speaker cable If you looking in Bunning's they don't usually put it with the rest of the cable / wire, it's with the outdoor lighting.

For what it's worth i have speaker cable valued at $45 per meter on my fronts at home, and i can't tell the difference between the two when listening
What for when he's running them from the head unit? There will be NO benefit at all for 15-25Wrms from an aftermarket head unit.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I don't mean as far as power into wire gauge goes, i just meant it he wanted to run new wiring, and was after something that would do the job without wasting money. With a 25 meter roll he'd have enough left for when he adds an amplifier, and he could use the left over bits between the xovers ect.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I think the best advice so far is to go listen to a bunch of speakers myself. Like StoneX suggests, I think it would be best that way, rather than going for something just based on price/writeups.
Thanks for that. I read that listening to them yourself would be the best option previously, but I think I just overlooked it.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
MAG00's info is the typical bandwagon brands that they always push on MEA. Go listen to speakers in your price range at chain and independent stores to see what speakers you like. Definitely don't stay away from the mainstream brands as recommended above.

Alpine and Pioneer are decent at the top end of their price range, in your price range they probably don't compare to other brands out there but you should decide that with your own ears, don't trust forum poster's ears :)

Nah I wouldn't listen to experts with trained ears either, what would they know?

This info is the typical bandwagon that many people push. The fact of the matter is, it is very hard to find places with these brands outside of Melbourne and Sydney, so people settle with the big brand stuff they hear in stores. Why let what you have locally limit you, when you can go for trusted, very well respected and very highly regarded gear, rather than just settling for a big brand item that quite simply isn't up to par with similarly priced equipment?

While listening to it yourself is great, people in NSW and Victoria have to realise that stores that stock these brands in other states are very limited. For instance, there is literally no stores in Adelaide that stock Morel gear, and there are very few stores that stock anything other than Alpine, Pioneer etc.

Why settle for a sub-standard speaker, when a much better sound can be achieved? Makes no sense. If you can't trial a speaker, ask for opinions, read reviews etc. etc.

I suggest you head on over to one of these stores and trial their hertz and focal gear, find out their price and then shop around. If you find a better price elsewhere, get it from them.
In your price range I would suggest you have a look at the Focal 165A1 or the Hertz ESK 165.

At the end of the day go with what you like the sound of, but don't limit your views based on brand, you may be thoroughly surprised.

Last edited: