Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jaycar Response Dissapointment - Ive lost $500!!!

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Don't get me wrong - on the whole I have had a fairly good run with the Response gear - I'm running it myself and have never had a problem with my own.

However, I have now had a total of three of the 4x50W amps fail - over the last couple of years I suppose I've actually sourced maybe 8 units in total - so all in all 3 from 8 is a pretty hopeless failure rate.

(one of those I went through the hassle of warranty replacement, but the other two ended up coming out of my pocket to replace for the customer. It was easier to eat into my profit from the job, than to jump through all the hoops they want you to. I could've gone further, but I just don't get the time.)

I don't know whether maybe the factory that makes these things are suffering a few QA issues, but the result is the same. Product which is normally outstanding bang-for-buck, has now become one of the "avoid these" brands. Shame, but that's the way it is.

Jaycar / Electus quality has suffered in general though. I normally buy connectors and other hardware items from them - I rejected an order of 100 RCA sockets recently because they were JUNK!! I just couldn't solder to them - and I had even tried giving the solder areas a clean-up with a needle file - but the solder just wouldn't wet to the connector! Next thing I knew the whole thing became distorted because the excessive heat I had to bore into the thing had melted the insulator. Yes, a PLASTIC insulator, instead of bakelite or teflon - CHEAP AND NASTY!! RUBBISH!!) :bang:

I'm now looking for a reliable supplier of these things - as sad as it is many of my components now come from suppliers in the UK and Hong Kong, because Aussie suppliers are just dropping the ball too much.... LEDs which don't colour match properly, junk connector components, overpriced relays and ICs... the list goes on.

Anyhow - as for my spec'ing Response gear for future installs - not unless they drastically lift their game. It's gone from "... Response went faulty on you?? That's unlucky..." to now "... your Response gear works?? That's lucky..."

<RaBBiT>

Follow the White RaBBiT>>
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Berlina V8, VS Calais 5spd, VN V8, VR States
i have had the same problems with jaycar products a few years bak and i too have never touched the stuff ever since

its is crap audio

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
I have had pretty much only good experience with jaycar......

Brought a set of kevlar 6x9's.... My sister turned them up for to long with constant distortion so that stuffed them...
So i walk back into the store and tell him i want an exchange or a refund, he said he cant do it without a receipt to which i reply with "OR! you could just replace/refund them because who the hell else sells response? no one, so i suggest you give me an exchange atleast, after all i did recommend all my mates to buy your amps and speakers"

Within 5 minutes i had a new set and was out the door :)

A couple of my mates have the silver amps, great..... But there is a problem obviously with quality control because i have heard some crappy stories.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I would told you where to go :p Blowing up speakers should never be covered by warranty. Where I work we cover pretty much everything except for faults caused by user error, blown speakers are always user error or faulty other equipment.

Some places just like to get rid of irrational customers though ;)

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
If you are looking for another brand, this prob isn't what you want to hear, but I had a Kenwood Amp bought it and it had a 1 year warranty 1 1/2 years later it sh*t itself and wouldn't power up, rang kenwood they told me they changed their warranty to 3 years and my amp was still covered, I told them I installed it myself, they got courier to pick it up from my work, about a week later it was sitting on my desk at work again all fixed. Couldn't rave enough about the help kenwood has given, no argument, no grissles just great service.

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
If you are looking for another brand, this prob isn't what you want to hear, but I had a Kenwood Amp bought it and it had a 1 year warranty 1 1/2 years later it sh*t itself and wouldn't power up, rang kenwood they told me they changed their warranty to 3 years and my amp was still covered, I told them I installed it myself, they got courier to pick it up from my work, about a week later it was sitting on my desk at work again all fixed. Couldn't rave enough about the help kenwood has given, no argument, no grissles just great service.

That is what I call, "looking after your customers!". That is one story that needs to be framed and put into a gallery! :thumbsup:

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Yea I was bloody stoked, I actually rang them up first looking for a repairer that they use, was going to pay for it myself, but nope warranty works for me.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Yeah, well Kenny has a name to protect - and it's considered to be well above "average" anyway. It is very nice gear, although you do pay for it.

However it's refreshing to know that by paying that little more, you then really are a "customer" to them, and they go out of their way to make sure you come back next time you need to buy. 11 out of 10 Kenwood! :thumbsup:

Oh - to the blokes bagging Response out as "crap audio" - get some cotton buds and clean your ears out. Or install the gear properly and give it a chance. The sound quality of Response equipment is quite acceptable - even outstanding for the spend. What we're discussing here is reliability problems....

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Been reading this thread with some intrest, mainly due to me running response gear. I have a 4 * 100 amp as well as the 6.5 inch splits and I must say it sounds pretty darn good for the money.

I was getting sound intereference but after transferring the power wire to the right hand side and cleaning up the ground a little I have no issues.

I would have taken the amp back and just stood there until something was done. It is a shame that such great gear has let it's quality slide.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Another + for Kenwood customer service here. I emailed them regarding setting the clock on a particular model i installed into my mums car, I couldnt figure it out (manual was useless) I got a very speedy and detailed reply, was very happy with their service. Glad to hear about other peoples experiences with them :thumbsup:

Cheers.