Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For all things political Part 2

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
of course there hasn't been a murmur minister Morrison is the king of secrecy and he's certainly not going to publicise the fact that he is failing and the boats are still coming

Jesus Christ you are thick. Again on about how the government is failing with the boat policy. I thought this had already been comprehensively covered?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
of course there hasn't been a murmur minister Morrison is the king of secrecy and he's certainly not going to publicise the fact that he is failing and the boats are still coming

To which secrecy do you refer to?? As you are no doubt aware but conveniently choose to ignore, The current minister has elected to brief the media weekly on this subject, rather than whenever a boat arrived (near daily under the last government). Just to help you out, all of his briefings in un-edited form are published here:
operation-sovereign-borders. Once again, I ask you - where is the secrecy???

As for failing - hmmm, there is a reduction of around 80% since the policy started in September. That's 80% less people risking their lives with such a dangerous journey. I know you will disagree but any rational person would say that an 80% reduction of people doing any other inherently dangerous activity over 3 months is an excellent outcome. Clearly there is the other 20% which need to be attended to however clearly the trend is in the right direction.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
To which secrecy do you refer to?? As you are no doubt aware but conveniently choose to ignore, The current minister has elected to brief the media weekly on this subject, rather than whenever a boat arrived (near daily under the last government). Just to help you out, all of his briefings in un-edited form are published here:

As for failing - hmmm, there is a reduction of around 80% since the policy started in September. That's 80% less people risking their lives with such a dangerous journey. I know you will disagree but any rational person would say that an 80% reduction of people doing any other inherently dangerous activity over 3 months is an excellent outcome. Clearly there is the other 20% which need to be attended to however clearly the trend is in the right direction.

Reap

Save your breath. Gopher and others who so strongly oppose the Coalition and support the Labor movement, obviously believed that Abbott was claiming to be a magician during the election campaign and that "stop the boats" meant from the day after he was elected. Large reductions don't figure in their bitter hatred of the LNP. It's all or nothing. Anybody who could pass the previous government's efforts in this area as acceptable, then condemn the current government for its perceived lack of total and complete success, is never going to have a reasonable view.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car

Do you honestly believe that if the Jakarta post hadn't reported this that we would have ever been told about it?
I think not
And it has been reported a lot lately that the media briefings have stopped

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you honestly believe that if the Jakarta post hadn't reported this that we would have ever been told about it?
I think not
And it has been reported a lot lately that the media briefings have stopped

1. Who ####ing cares?? It's part of the documented policy and supposedly happened a day or so ago. Check out the next report from the minister to see if it's reported or not. I would have thought announcing the successful return of boats was in govco's interest to report as it's evidence their policy was achievable no matter what the nay-sayers (read ALP/Greens) may say. Yet no, they don't announce it and continue getting on with the job.
2. There were operational updates on Jan 3 2014, Dec 27, Dec 20 and each week prior for that. They are all there on the Australian Customs website I posted above. Further to that, there are a string of ministerial press releases dated from 27 Sept 2013 right up till 5 January 2014. I don't know where you are getting your info from, but clearly it's wrong.

A little broader reading and thinking on your part would serve you well.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Reap

Save your breath. Gopher and others who so strongly oppose the Coalition and support the Labor movement, obviously believed that Abbott was claiming to be a magician during the election campaign and that "stop the boats" meant from the day after he was elected. Large reductions don't figure in their bitter hatred of the LNP. It's all or nothing. Anybody who could pass the previous government's efforts in this area as acceptable, then condemn the current government for its perceived lack of total and complete success, is never going to have a reasonable view.

Then again looking at how one defines the meaning of 'stop the boats', technically if 2 or more boats are prevented from leaving Indonesia, then the program is a success. However if a reduction of 2 boats is all that is achieved, most reasonable people of all persuasions would deem it to be a failure. That is an issue of vague, brief campaign promises......

However there is much to be said in the Left placing Abbott under exactly the same level of scrutiny as the Right did for ALP.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
And most reports like this are generally leaked conversations between people discussing possible solutions. Not certain fact.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Then again looking at how one defines the meaning of 'stop the boats', technically if 2 or more boats are prevented from leaving Indonesia, then the program is a success. However if a reduction of 2 boats is all that is achieved, most reasonable people of all persuasions would deem it to be a failure. That is an issue of vague, brief campaign promises......

So how would you rate 80% drop in 3 months?

It appears Gopher has no response to post #5345, or maybe he's broadening his mind. Somehow I doubt it :rolleyes: