Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keep an eye on storms

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
As the former Administrator for the WA Weather Group I thought I should share some stuff that might help you to protect your pride and joy.

Now from what I make of this, it covers NZ too but not certain.

Everyone will use the BOM app for radar or if you use weatherzone, pay for it.

Your phones native apps don’t use BoM forecasts or data so many crack it over forecasts being wrong. Use the BoM app. Nor will they use NZ Met Service forecasts

For lightning, this is one of the best free apps around.
My Lightning Tracker

I use it on iPhone and I’m going to guess it’s available for Android.

48D3D3B8-C17E-4FE5-8283-B15BE3D8E2B9.jpeg

You can set what ever area you want for alerts. Yellow dots are older strokes and red is newer strikes.

FC8C05DB-0C40-4D59-AA35-84FD5B755A8F.jpeg

You can zoom in to see just about what tree it has hit.

The app for iPhone users

https://lightningstrik.es/

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Water vapour images will give a better idea of where storms are forming and where they are drawing their moisture from.

Brisbane Storm Chasers Homepage is an excellent resource.

http://realtime2.bsch.com.au/wv_sat.html

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Their storm casts are also a valuable tool to see if you should go to the extra effort to tidy the yard or get the car away for the day and catch a bus to work.

00B64889-CABC-48C6-8215-435055C0262D.jpeg

The LI (Lift Index) is one part to keep an eye on. It has to do with temperature differences. (Yes this is far more complex than my description but it will do). The more negative the numbers, the more you should pay attention to those areas and how they over lap the next bit.

91486C68-E88E-4C98-98B5-8EE1DC9F9CCD.jpeg

CAPE is the other part to watch and when those two overlap with solid numbers, it’s worth keeping an eye on things. CAPE refers to Convective Energy. Convective Available Potential Energy. How much energy the storm has to draw on.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Weather geeks, storm chasers and forecasters will of course look at far more data than just that but those things should help you a lot.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
As the former Administrator for the WA Weather Group I thought I should share some stuff that might help you to protect your pride and joy.
I spent $12k on a carport so I don’t have to worry about that shite anymore. Severe storms are becoming more common here in SEQ so I figured a carport was a good investment to stop the SSV getting wiped out in a hail storm. The UV protection is an added benefit.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I spent $12k on a carport so I don’t have to worry about that shite anymore. Severe storms are becoming more common here in SEQ so I figured a carport was a good investment to stop the SSV getting wiped out in a hail storm. The UV protection is an added benefit.
Add something like custom shade sails that can go on the sides if severe weather is forecast. Rain and hail rarely comes straight down. It’s normally sideways in severe weather.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Add something like custom shade sails that can go on the sides if severe weather is forecast. Rain and hail rarely comes straight down. It’s normally sideways in severe weather.
I have thought about adding something like that. I do have a hail rated car cover for the SSV that I can put on it as well.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I live on a hill so flooding and tsunami risks are basically a none issue. And all vehicles are garaged.
BUT, yesterday I hung some washing late(3pm) and asked the wife at 7pm whether I should bring it in or not, she said leave it out.
I woke up to the sound of rain at 5:50am. Bugger.

I should have checked a (reliable) radar instead :confused: