Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key Won't Turn in Ignition

cathected calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn calais
hey yall i'm new on here and firstly thanks for all the help great site... i searched this problem to no avail the other day and this is what worked for me on a vr berlina.. take of the casing around the ignition and just behind where you put the key there's a wire attached see if holding that while you turn the key works if it does tape it up with electrical tape...

weazzellboi

weazzellboi
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hi There,

awesome site, thanks for all your help. i come here first before spending lots of $$$$$ on a Auto Technician....
hey thanks for the info, its been a great read.
my key has just failed me. i can put it in and go to turn it to the on position, It gets there on AC lights on the dash, and it wont go any further i.e ignition..

so from reading this post id say the barrel is shot

2000 VT with lots of miles..lol...

gaff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Comodore Aclaim 2000
Aghhh, yea my key just stopped today cant unlock the steering lock, moves a little but wont turn the steering lock off, rang my mechanic he mention the age of the car and how worn the key must be and try some graphite powder, I did it worked freed everything up as it was bone dry , I plan on getting a new blade cut and see if that works but its not good and I think replacing the barrel would be a good idea, any thoughts, Im not out for a cheap fix just a decent one but still need to drive till I can drop it off for another 6 days, should I just go and get a new barrel and key as a proper repair , feels like a time bomb just waiting to go off. Ideas?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
A new key, ideally cut from the car's code rather than copying your old key, is a good idea in the short term. But replacing the barrel at the first opportunity is also wise because, like the earlier contributors say, once it jams up and won't turn it becomes a much more difficult and expensive repair because you can't get the centre part of the barrel out if the key won't turn in the ignition.

gaff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Comodore Aclaim 2000
does anyone know if locksmiths can make a new key and barrel that is the same as the old one, I understand about copying the code from my old key to the new one , will be the same but can they make the barrel and key blade part the same , thus avoiding having to match the door barrel , a simple replacement with the same parts but new, or is that to straight forward for them to do, I dont want to have to change every barrel on my car, make no sense when only one part needs replacing.