Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kicker CVT shallow 2 ohm or 4 ohm

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Hello all, I have a holden rodeo single cab and I am wanting to put 2 Kicker CVT shallow subs in behind my seats.

I do not have an amp as of yet, firstly I am trying to decide if I should get the 2 ohm or 4 ohm subs? these subs are SINGLE VOICE COIL subs.
any advice would be great.

Cheers Tom

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I'd get two 4 ohm SVC subs so you can wire them in parallel, then you can buy a monoblock that makes the appropriate power at 2 ohm.

[edit]
Fixed my retardedness.

Last edited:

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
I'd buy single 2ohm, so you can get a 1ohm stable monoblock...

or even run each sub off the rear channels of a 4 channel amp, and amp the front speakers with the other two channels ;)

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
When having single voice coil subs can you get the 4 ohm to be just as loud as 2 ohm or will 2 ohm always be louder

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Volume is determined by power , power is determined by impedance.

4 ohm sub with 400rms will be the same volume as a 2 ohm sub with 400rms.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Cheers for that info KAL, so would it be more expensive running 2 x 4 ohm subs? as the more watts a amp has the more $$$$$
Will it be safe running 2 x 2ohm i dont wanna be frying my gear. Im just trying to work out the most cost effective/safe way to go about it.
I also wanna push the subs to there peak rms..

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
It will be safe if your amplifier is 1ohm stable, simple.

You can't really 'push subs to their peak wrms' - you can a subwoofer from a more powerful amplifier than the sub is rated, it doesn't matter, most people prefer it, it's called 'headroom'.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
I was in at my local car audio shop this morning, the guys there said either 2 ohm or 4 ohm, he said it does not matter which i get and that you can get a 2 ohm sub to reach rms easier but with a 4 ohm sub I will have to buy an amp with higher watts to reach the desired rms, so at the end of the day either 2 ohm or 4 ohm can reach the same rms thus same output. Im not sure if this correct but its what they told me.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
That's more or less correct, but a bit mixed up. For a 1ohm stable amplifier, it might be rated at:
500wrms @ 4ohm
1000wrms @ 2ohm
1500wrms @ 1ohm

Though as the resistance decreases, other things change such as distortion levels. I wouldn't worry though, for your situation I'd buy a 2ohm sub then you can easily get a 2ohm stable mono.