Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kicker CVT shallow 2 ohm or 4 ohm

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Exactly the same !

In theory the amp you buy to run 2 subs @2ohm making 800rms will power 1 sub first of all if it's a 4ohm sub making 400rms , adding second sub will then bring power output up to 800rms be each sub still only gets 400rms.

Hope that makes sense.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I still don't understand why you would want to chase a 2 ohm load. Even the Jaycar amps are only $299 and will run fine at 1ohm, and will still put 600rms into 2 ohm if you only bought the one sub to start out with.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
I still don't understand why you would want to chase a 2 ohm load. Even the Jaycar amps are only $299 and will run fine at 1ohm, and will still put 600rms into 2 ohm if you only bought the one sub to start out with.

sorry i dont understand what your getting at, are you trying to say i should get 2 x 2ohm subs running on a 1ohm stable amp?
If i can get the exact same power from 2 x 4ohm runing at 2ohm stable would that not be the better option? It would run with
less distortion and less heat on the amp yeah?

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Yes , the more current draw there is the quicker your battery goes flat.

Before you purchase anything do your home work on prices if budget is a concern , make a plan on EVERYTHING youre buying then stick to it , pointless buying subs then finding out a different amp is cheaper.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
And draw less current.

that's a rather confusing suggestion...

if its a class D amp, and does 800watts into 2ohm, its going to draw almost identical current to a different class D amp that does 800watts into 1ohm...

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
are you comparing two identical amps, other than one having higher voltage rails? or are you comparing different amps, with different switching frequencies, and different designs? making the comparison almost completely invalid?

I am aware that amplifiers are generally more efficient being run at a higher impedance than their minimum load, but that's not what we're comparing here, we're comparing an amplifier rated for 2ohm minimum, to an amplifier rated for 1ohm minimum...