Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking noise please help

Vssupercharged

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Calais
Hi everyone,
I've got this knocking noise coming from what sounds like the top of my engine (3.8 supercharged ecotec) I have taking both rocker covers off and checked push rods etc there all good but the noise quietens off when you go up in the rev range and once its warmed up at idle it quietens off is well. Could it be the hydraulic lifters? or could it be a big end? Any help appreciated! :)

mini91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
most possibly the lifters :/ well its more of a tapping noise with lifters.. sounding like there isnt much oil haha. i had the same problem.. a cause could be that the engine hadnt been started in awhile ?

Vssupercharged

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Calais
This noise is a knock when first started but once warmed up get quieter to more of a light knock/tapping. I just brought the car so don't know much about its past i just changed the oil the other day so got good oil in just worried that it might be a big end gone the engine was rebuilt 100xxx ago I was told so im hoping its not

mini91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
ahhhh i see . umm hope its not big end!!. i could suggest some lifter quietner. but not sure if its lifters.. being a knock .. hows it feel to drive ??

Vssupercharged

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Calais
It did have a miss and i took all the spark plugs out and replaced them as the they had 1.5 in them when they should of have 1.3 as its supercharged and runs alot better now getting new leads for it tomorrow before it didn't idle till it warmed up but now it idles fine when cold but when i pulled cyl 6 spark plug it it must of been hit but something because the tip was right up against the spark plug so wouldn't of had any spark so not sure what would have caused that but will take it for drive tomorrow with new leads on to see if it still misses or not

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
You may have spun a cam bearing maybe? They're supposibly common..