Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Live data can be incorrect

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
An excellent example of reading live data when investigating a fault code. ECM will often substitute data when incoming data is corrupted or absent.

Always go to the sensor to get wave form data after investigating live data.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
On these tech nights I used to do, the guy running them always said that the computer is dumb.
He made sure to mention that the computer will only tell you what it has data for and if that data is incorrect so will the data that comes out of the computer will be.

This is why I always check with test equipment to verify.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
On these tech nights I used to do, the guy running them always said that the computer is dumb.
He made sure to mention that the computer will only tell you what it has data for and if that data is incorrect so will the data that comes out of the computer will be.

This is why I always check with test equipment to verify.

1710310229072.png

Exactly. People and technicians look to the computers as being all knowing and superior, when in actual fact they are dumb and produce data based on… other data. It’s then up to the technician to investigate without treating the ECM like it’s a an AI super being.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yep always do that when i can for all my datalogging when tuning, each time u add a pid u can select SAE or generic and i always go generic as im tuning vehicles with the same data, the SAE is a blanket sensor so if ur looking at data for say 50 different types of vehicles u dont have to add the specific sensor pid every single time it will just load the SAE defaults for it, if u got the sensor log the sensor...