Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low Speed Tolerance Could Increase Crashes - Study

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...rashes-study/ar-BBy2Lp1?li=BBqdg4K&ocid=wispr

An actual study, properly conducted and peer reviewed to suggest low tolerance speed enforcement actually increases the likely hood of accidents. Who would have thought.... :rolleyes:

It's time the cops get with the times and give up on the revenue gathering and start concentrating on the real reasons the road toll is going up.

BTW, for any cops reading this, if you care to spend some time at any major intersection in NZ I'm sure you'll be able to hand out more than enough tickets for red light running you would easily reach your quotas, improve traffic flows,save lives and reduce accident numbers!!!!!

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Its been known for years safety cameras are about revenue because the government can't do anything else but tax and fine the people.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Same here in Aus, too many drivers constantly looking at their speedo's, and not watching the road....

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
And the faster you drive, the more you concentrate.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Road Safety Cameras.......

What do they really have to do with 'safety', when you receive notification 2 weeks after the event...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Road Safety Cameras.......

What do they really have to do with 'safety', when you receive notification 2 weeks after the event...

Exactly, if they were truly interesting in reducing speeding, accidents and road deaths all units would be highly visible so people can see and reduce their speeds accordingly. Hiding a speed camera at a accident black spot does nothing to slow people down. I actually think it's worse, when/if people actually spot said hidden camera there first response is most likely to slam on the anchors and we all know what happens when people brake hard abruptly (for apparently no reason for those following behind who haven't yet seen said hidden speed camera)......

Hell, lets just say that police are now actively contributing to the death toll each year.....

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
And the faster you drive, the more you concentrate.

I call bull **** on this, it is an old excuse that I have heard endlessly.

Besides which at a slower speed you have more time to avoid the ******** that just pulled out on you.

While I don't disagree with what is said about reducing the tolerance and the cops needing to actually pull people up for dangerous driving through intersections, cutting corners, dangerous overtaking regurgitating the same old, but I'm a good driver, I concentrate better when I am speeding argument is simply crap, and if it is the case grow the **** up and pay attention at what ever speed you are doing.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
My attention to the road becomes significantly worse during double demerits, because I spend so much time staring at the speedo instead of the road. And I know I do it, but I instinctively can't help it. It's even worse on the motorbike because I have to look down to see the speedo, and it's harder to maintain a constant speed on the bike. So I can honestly say that double demerits and stricter enforcement actually makes me a more dangerous driver because I'm more concerned about my speed than paying attention to the road. I am fully conscious of it and it drives me insane.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
1. Cops don't make any of the road rules, or get to choose the speed tolerances, or any of that crap. They are just the people that have to do the dirty work that the Government tells them to do. Don't like what they do? Go complain to your local member.

2. I call bullshit on too many drivers constantly watching their speedo. Most drivers I see aren't concentrating on their driving at all. But I do agree it is harder to do a quick check on a bike.
When I am driving I have the capacity to maintain a fairly constant speed without looking at the speedo every 2 seconds, can others not?

3. Also call bullshit on the whole, faster you go the more you concentrate. My attention doesn't change whether I am doing 60km/h or 100km/h. If you don't have the capacity to concentrate at slow speeds, then maybe you just can't drive.

4. I don't like the argument that a visible police presence is a better deterrent that a semi hidden one. The cops can't be everywhere at one, there are so few of them to so many road users. The point of the semi-hidden traps is to catch and punish the idiots breaking the law, that's the deterrent, a fine and points. How easy do you think it is for cops to fine you for speeding if they are also moving and can't use pre-positioned calibrated equipment to get a true reading of the speed? In another lane, other side of road, can't pursue to pull over, if they did this more people will be bitching that cops are gueesing their speed and handing out fines.

5. I agree with the part about people are getting real shocking with other things like red-light running. Seeing a huge spike in that recently. But every time I have seen someone run a red light, and there has been a cop car to witness it, they have pulled over the idiot. So its not like they are ignoring it.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe in Aussie, I have seen someone run a red with a cop car at said intersection and they didn't even notice. Fact is (here in NZ anyway), cops seem to ignore a lot of **** that happens every day. Don't see many cop cars out on the road these days, cop numbers have stagnated when the population has greatly increased so the reality is that the number of cops per capita has significantly dropped which means they are under resourced. The current National government has put a freeze on police funding now for a number of years which when you take into account inflation it means an actual reduction in the police budget.

I call BS on hidden speed cameras, a ticket received in the mail a couple of weeks after doesn't do much really. A visual police presence works much better unfortunately it's not uncommon to see cops traveling well below the speed limit to try and bait people into speeding on our motorways yet I also see cops speeding on our suburban roads. Here in NZ a few years back the number of speeding tickets issued via speed cameras were dropping indicating that people were slowing down, the governments response, drop the tolerance to get the ticket take back up again. Ticketing those folks who are only a few Km/h over the limit does nothing for the road toll but does increase the money going into the government coffers.

The fact that we have been running these low tolerance speed campaigns for a few years now and the fact that the road toll has actually increased clearly indicates that it's not working. Stats don't lie even with the obfuscation of the powers that be.

It is a sad fact that what the cops/government are doing here in NZ isn't reducing the road toll, how long must you flog a dead horse to realize it's dead?