Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering A Vl Commodore

C

Cherrys

i have got a 1988 VL Commodore and i want to lower it about 40mm. does any of you's know how much it would cost me to do this.

T

=TUR7LE=

go down 2 ur nearest pedders they should fix u up 4 around $500 if not, juss chop the 1's in ur car with a grinder and it costs u nothing

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
advise against the chop if you handy enough to chop them you might aswell buy lowred king springs from coventries and install them yourself

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
its a bit of work to drop the front cause you need to remove the strut tower, make sure you mark where your top bushes are in the engine bay so it goes to the same spot. You will need spring removers as well. Rears are cool to take out but you will need an adjustable panard rod otherwise the diff will shift to the left enough to scrape the a$$ out of the tyre wall.

Look on ebay for some kings springs, theyre about $60-80 a pair and you will also need shocks for a lowered car, all up you will be looking around the $500-600 mark.

My advice is to get some K-mac adjustable strut -tower top bushes, makes it easy to change camber for wheel alignment as you will need this when you have lowered the car.

T

=TUR7LE=

Yep Good Old King Springs Thats What I Got In My Vl There Great

C

craigvl038

ive just picked up some pedders springs, shocks and struts for my vl i got them from VL PROJEX'S second and but they are basicly brand new i got them for $120 and i did it my self it only took 2 and a half hours...

A

AKR

VL projex, if your in the brisbane area, this guy can be a life saver.. go check it out.. 5 stars :air:
-you'll find alot of the wreckers around the area send their VL customers straight there...

As for cutting your springs...BAD idea... to be honest, if you are the kina guy that cant wait to save a few hundred for springs. It's more than likely your the kinda guy that will take her around a corner in excess of 70k's ...

In the process of "hacking" (cut is too delicate a word for this kind of butchery) your springs, you created a great amount of heat withing the coil, causing it to loose its 'temper'... Hope you enjoy rolling around corners ..

-Ak

i_want_kw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL to VS
yer, i learned the hard way bout cutting springs... lol, how much does an adjustable panhard rod cost? easy to install?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
king springs all the way. 30mm drop. you'll need lowered shocks for the front i think and leave original in the rear. or other way around just check. i think i'm right though. nolathane sell an adjustable pan hard rod to centre the diff housing and a front strut brace to go across your engine bay to stop the towers collapsing. handles excellent. don't over correct cos the car snaps back when it gets sideways. that's what i've done and i'm thinking of bigger swaybars, let you know how it goes but definately go the above, you won't regret it.

vl-05

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
hey man a cheaper option is getting you springs compressed, about $40 each, i had this done in my vl GTS and with new shocks all round she hugged the tarmack very well. People will say they sag but 5 years later she still sits nice!