Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG / Petrol dual mapping ecu VY V6

evank

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Series 2 v6
Hi,

I would like to resolve the issue of rough engine running when swapping between LPG and Petrol - due to the auto-trim on the stock ECU.

I called HALTECH, they told me I need a dual mapping ECU which is only contained in their high end ECU's for $2000+. Im not interest to pay that much.

Is there a lower cost alternative for dual mappings so I get smooth operation immediately when switch between fuels? If so, where can I get it? who can install it? and roughly how for the whole exercise?

I have heard that U95 petrol is close to LPG mapping, is this true? I am prepared to entertain this idea to save me changing the ECU if someone wants to elaborate.

My driving behaviour is mostly highway sitting at around 2000rpm, and once in a blue moon it might go slightly over 3000rpm. Im just looking for smooth operation torque and economy.

Thanks in advanced

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
What sort of lpg system are you running? Petrol needs less initial advance and more total advance later higher in the rev range. Lpg needs more initial advance and less total advance, all in by sooner in the rev range.

Without a way of running dual ignition mapping, you'll have to compromise between the two fuel types. In any case, lpg will still run just fine on the stock petrol tune and you shouldn't notice any difference on a modern efi engine provided you have lpg vapour or liquid injection. They handle lpg very well without any modifications.

SimonL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Vy Calais L67
Hi,

I would like to resolve the issue of rough engine running when swapping between LPG and Petrol - due to the auto-trim on the stock ECU.

I called HALTECH, they told me I need a dual mapping ECU which is only contained in their high end ECU's for $2000+. Im not interest to pay that much.

Is there a lower cost alternative for dual mappings so I get smooth operation immediately when switch between fuels? If so, where can I get it? who can install it? and roughly how for the whole exercise?

I have heard that U95 petrol is close to LPG mapping, is this true? I am prepared to entertain this idea to save me changing the ECU if someone wants to elaborate.

My driving behaviour is mostly highway sitting at around 2000rpm, and once in a blue moon it might go slightly over 3000rpm. Im just looking for smooth operation torque and economy.

Thanks in advanced
I've just done this with my Supercharged V6 Vy Calais running JTG liquid injected LPG.
The best way to do it is to run a Wolf V550 ecu it's over $2000 but its about the only way to do it