Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS engine for Street Rod

Clemine

Reaction score
Members Ride
1932 Ford
Hi I am new around here. Just been looking at getting an engine for my 32 Ford Rod. Considering a 6l so I have been looking at 2006 Commodore V8 auto and later.
My question is about what engines are avaliable and the code for these on the vin.
I know nothing about these engines but am looking to put a manifold with 1 or 2 4bbl's and a distributor kit for a dizzy.
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards Clem

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
~ My question is about what engines are avaliable and the code for these on the vin. ~

G'day Clem,

See the link in my signature below, I don't claim it's a complete list but this is exactly why I created it to begin with!

In America, the engine numbers are tied to the VIN of the vehicle they left the factory in, but we don't follow that convention in Australia (with Holden vehicles anyway).

All the earlier 5.7L Gen III LS1 & LS6 engines and some very early (first year of production) 6.0L Gen IV LS2 engines have a "VF" prefix in the engine number, AFAIK all of these engines have the 24 tooth reluctor wheel.

But I'd suggest you confine your search to the newer Gen IV (2006-onward) engines with the 58 tooth reluctor wheel as these are much more upgradable/interchangeable.

The main difference between the two generations is the control systems (ECU, wiring harness, sensors, etc.) and, for the most part, all the L76, L98, L77, (later) LS2, LS3 and even LS7 engines are basically direct replacements for each other (the supercharged LSA could almost be included too except for a few sensors).

Anyway, I won't bore you with further details, you've likely researched all this already?

Andrew

Clemine

Reaction score
Members Ride
1932 Ford
Hi Andrew thanks for the reply. I can't see any link in you sig? Maybe not looking in the right place.
I have done a little research but have yet to figure out the differences of the different engines.
So all these "L76, L98, L77, (later) LS2, LS3 and even LS7" are basically the same engine and all Holdens after 2006 will have one of them.
Other things I am looking for
which ones are ally block?
are the engine mounts all the same?
are the mounts the same as sbc?

Thanks for your help and maybe you can reply with the link.
Regards Clem.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hi Andrew thanks for the reply. I can't see any link in you sig? Maybe not looking in the right place.
I have done a little research but have yet to figure out the differences of the different engines.
So all these "L76, L98, L77, (later) LS2, LS3 and even LS7" are basically the same engine and all Holdens after 2006 will have one of them.
Other things I am looking for
which ones are ally block?
are the engine mounts all the same?
are the mounts the same as sbc?

Thanks for your help and maybe you can reply with the link.
Regards Clem.

Try this Clem - http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/holden-and-hsv-gen-iv-engine-number-prefixes.250144/

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
All the above are alloy block and alloy heads, all the hand-built (dry-sumped) PBC motors are cast from a better grade of alloy than the production line engines, but the only one of these used in an Australian (factory produced) Holden was the 7.0L Gen IV LS7 (so I don't know why I even mention it really).

From 2006-on, all the 6.0L Gen IV LS2 / L76 / L98 / L77 engines essentially use the same block (4.000" bore x 3.622" stroke), there are some minor differences with oil galleries depending on whether the engine had DOD/AFM (Displacement On Demand / Active Fuel management) but all parts and bolt-ons are interchangeable.

Speaking of DOD/AFM, this was a system that deactivated four cylinders by removing oil pressure to the lifters, allowing them to collapse, thereby not opening the valves on those cylinders. This system was fitted to the L76 and later on, the L77 engines only (the LS2 & L98 engines all got standards valve trains). The reason I mention this is so you can avoid this AFM system if possible as it adds extra expense/limitations to camshaft upgrades, or you can buy an "AFM Delete" kit (again for extra cost).

So, being basically the same block, all these LS engines have the same exterior bolt patterns (bellhousing, engine mounts, drive accessories, etc.) but no, they are NOT they same as early generation Chevrolet engines.

Andrew

Clemine

Reaction score
Members Ride
1932 Ford
Hey Andrew, Thanks heaps for the info! You have been a great help.
So I will be looking for a LS2 or L98 I guess. And I can use your engine number list.
Thanks again, Clem.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I was going to suggest an LS3 'E-Rod' crate engine(comes with a stand alone PCM).
But if you're going 'old skool' with a couple of 4 barrels and distributor, might be cheaper to do that to an LS1

Clemine

Reaction score
Members Ride
1932 Ford
Yeah, I'd like to get away from computers if I can lol.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I will be looking for a LS2 or L98 I guess.

I guess it depends what your plans are?

If you're looking to buy a running "use as is" engine that you don't plan to modify, it doesn't really matter if it has AFM or not, you can just leave it turned off in the ECU tune.

If you're planning to rebuild the engine, you'll likely be replacing the valve train anyway, in which case it doesn't cost that much extra just to block off the oil galleries and change the top cover.

The main issue is, the AFM valve gear doesn't seem to cope well with big camshafts or high RPM, so if you're building the rod to do burnouts then steer clear, but if you're only cruising the main street on a Saturday night it's not so important.

BTW, I forgot to mention before, the only difference between the L76 and the L77 is that the latter is a "Flex-fuel" engine, meaning it's built to run on ethanol.

Andrew