Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1, LS2, LS3 Difference?

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
Hey guys i was looking in my car manual today and it said that i have a LS3 Engine in my November 2003 VY Commodore,

So i looked on ebay for LS3 stuff, but there wasn't really much on there, so i looked up LS1 which had lots of stuff ...

So my question is whats the differences between LS1, LS2 and LS3? .. and which is better? .. and also if i was to get extractors and an intake modification, would i have to buy special/different parts for the LS3 motor? .. Or are the different LS numbers for different internal changes?

Thanks guys!! ... and gals lol

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
You may want to re-read that manual, as for which is better, well the ls1 5.7 is close to the ls2 6.0L but the ls3 6.2L is a nice motor and definately the pick of the bunch. The ls3 is only available in hsv's and was released in april 2008, so your vy manual is an interesting read thats for sure....

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
hah sorry bout that, a recheck and it was a LN3 .. not LS3. it wasnt really like a manual manual, more like just info about the car. But yeh nevermind i feel stupid now hah

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
You may want to re-read that manual, as for which is better, well the ls1 5.7 is close to the ls2 6.0L but the ls3 6.2L is a nice motor and definately the pick of the bunch. The ls3 is only available in hsv's and was released in april 2008, so your vy manual is an interesting read thats for sure....

LS2 is HSV only as well.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS2 is HSV only as well.

thanks for clearing that up for me i would never of known because im an idiot, again thanks......

ps the reason i only mentioned the ls3 is because thats what the op thought he was running, so by mentioning it is a hsv only option and only came out in 2008
i was trying to point out that he couldnt possibly be running one. now in case someone corrects me again and says he could of had a different motor installed
he states that his manual stated it was a ls3, which he has already said was a mistake on his behalf. i hope i havent forgotten to state anything else that is not
of any importance and apologise for any undue stress i may have created.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
And that's why I stated LS2 was HSV only. For the benefit of the OP :beer chug:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
thanks for clearing that up for me i would never of known because im an idiot, again thanks......

ps the reason i only mentioned the ls3 is because thats what the op thought he was running, so by mentioning it is a hsv only option and only came out in 2008
i was trying to point out that he couldnt possibly be running one. now in case someone corrects me again and says he could of had a different motor installed
he states that his manual stated it was a ls3, which he has already said was a mistake on his behalf. i hope i havent forgotten to state anything else that is not

Pretty sure you need to take a chill pill there mate.

The OP asked the difference between LS1, LS2 and LS3.

You covered the differences between LS1 and LS3 plus why the OP's VY would not have an LS3 in it while Bravotwozero covered what the LS2 was used in.

Failing to see on what grounds you are having a go at him for?

Anyway,

For the OP benefit, basically:

VT SII through to VY all used the LS1 (5.7L) motor in ALL v8 models.

Pre 2006 VZ NON-HSV vehicles used the LS1(5.7L) motor.

2006 VZ NON-HSV vehicles got the L76(6.0L) motor.

All VZ HSV vehicles used the LS2(6.0L) motor.

The L98(6.0L) motor is used in NON-HSV VE vehicles

Finally, the LS3(6.2L) is used in VE HSV vehicles.

Hope that helps.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
. i hope i havent forgotten to state anything else that is not

No-one including myself has said what the differences between each motor are, this is the question the OP asked, i was letting him know of the possibility he had a ls3 motor nothing more nothing less

ps im chilled

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
no no no no lol.. my motor isnt even a LS1/2 or 3 its a LN3 .... nawww now i caused a fight over something that i didnt even mean to say haha

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Just to add some further confusion.
If you have a VY v6, your engine actually is a L36 or more commonly known as the ecotec.

This is a engine in the build 3800 family.

LN3 is basically the build code holden gives to all NA v6 holdens from VT to VY. (I think this may also include the VS, but i'm not 100% sure)

So if you have a v6 NA VY it will have the L36, 3.8L Ecotec engine.

It will have 152fwkw @ 5200rpm and 305 Nm @ 3600 rpm.

Cheers.