Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS9 cam for L77

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - ?)' started by Redline457, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Redline457

Redline457 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF1 6.0 SSVR A6 W457, VF2 6.2 SSVR M6
    Hi all, has anyone gone down this track? I've heard they are excellent upgrade for supercharged engines, have been the down the lumpy cam route in previous cars, want to be able to maintain drive ability in today's crap traffic without pushing on the auto but fire up when given the gas, main reason is to get rid of the AFM hardware for better reliability , thanks.

2. revster

revster Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V8
    Can't answer about the LS9 but I will soon be getting a Harrop 02 cam for my Harrop blown L77. Seems a good match from what I have read.

3. Foggsy

Foggsy Member

Members Ride:
    VE S2 SSZ M6
    Get on you tube and search G8 LS9 cam, GXP LS9 cam and Camaro LS9 cam as there are plenty of vid's of guys running them in their N/A 6 and 6.2L cars in the states.

4. Redline457

Redline457 New Member

Members Ride:
    Thanks Foggsy, I'll have a look

5. monstar

monstar Active Member

Members Ride:
    VVT Redline, Motherfucker
    The main reason you are going for a forced induction cam with high LSA and bugger all overlap is because the AFM is unreliable - well that's drastic, someone's telling you porkies, no need on your L77. Same revised lifters, LOMA and other detail tweaks have served me close to 300k km, that's 3/4 distance to the moon, last 130k km close to 600 HP. LT4 uses same setup 650 HP out of the box, as does the latest Stingray (LT1).
    Anyway, yes LS9 cam (12638427) is a kick arse all round cam for LSA or 2300 definitely. However on the two main G8 boards LS9 cam is universally bagged (on the L76), is meant for forced induction in every regard, a terrible choice for a NA transition to S/C.
    OTH old mate in the US has same cam as me, sorta like VCM 262 with AFM lobes, he runs 11.8s with FBO as is (~430rwhp), has bolted on LSA and making >600rwhp. Four cylinder mode still optional, main thing is AFM brings with it 'larger base circle and lift via rockers' geometry per GenV, which speaks to your raison d'ĂȘtre - reliability.

426Cuda likes this.
  6. Redline457

Redline457 New Member

Members Ride:
    Hi Monstar, appreciate your comments and insight, to be honest I haven't really decided which way to go with it, may just leave it as it is, it is my dd. Just heard that the LS9 cam could be a good option for my WP2300 (w457 package) and thought someone may have done similar. Thanks.

7. monstar

monstar Active Member

Members Ride:
    Sorry I misread your sig, thought you were looking for transitional cam NA prior to 2300. So yeah like I said above really good option.
    Is AFM active or did they disable the function with the W457 tune? If they installed the SC over the LOMA then there are several very clever new options available.

8. PeteSS

PeteSS Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    Think hard before you cam it. Mine's got a magnuson 2300 with a VCM "custom grind" cam, and it's used as a daily. It's a dog in traffic as it surges, hunts, stinks of fumes at idle, etc. Mine's got more to do with a shitty tune, though you'll find a custom cam does affect drivability

As far as AFM, i think all Walkinshaw tunes delete it as part of the package, unless you specifically as them not to

9. monstar

monstar Active Member

Members Ride:
    So you think Walkinshaw went in took out deac lifters swapped valley cover but retained AFM cam before strapping on blower?
    I reckon function is just disabled in tune.

10. PeteSS

PeteSS Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    Yeah sorry, by delete i meant as in turn it off when tuning.

11. Redline457

Redline457 New Member

Members Ride:
    Hi guys, yes all the AFM gear is still in there, just disabled through software. Petess think the LS9 cam has a smooth idle as it has OEM R&D behind it, therefore is easy to live with, could be the best of both worlds??

426Cuda likes this.