Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSX LXX V8 Remote tuning service :)

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Well yesterday the day I had been waiting for finally arrived (I'm sure the guys at work would have been ready to throttle me counting down the days all week!), thanks to Steve from MACE Engineering and Bill from Towler Performance we got the Clubbie up on the dyno.

The only mod to the car is the 3" Catback, Bill let it rip on the dyno and it produced what I would describe as a rather healthy 270rwkw with the stock tune.

We then went about popping the MACE supplied LSX tune and ran it up on the dyno once again which hit 277.2rwkw. I was surprised to say the least as it feels a hell of a lot more than a 7rwkw gain, a gain is a gain though right ;) anyway read on :)

During our chats Bill made mention that the intake and headers were really holding it back, he couldn't easily just unbolt the headers so the next best thing was unclipping the airbox leaving it slightly ajar allowing a bit more air in but still going through the cotton filter, up on the dyno again for another run and it hit 285rwkw.

Proof in the pudding right there that the intake sure is holding it back.

To my surprise I came home and the OTR had arrived so now I'm just waiting for some sunlight to get stuck into it.

Dyno sheet attached.

There's more coming this week, headers and cats being fitted and a video thanks to the video crew I had there on the day.

Thanks again Bill, some of those cars you have there are crazy to say the least!

Attachments

• Dyno-Run.jpg
    Dyno-Run.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 425

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
We then went about popping the MACE supplied LSX tune and ran it up on the dyno once again which hit 277.2rwkw. I was surprised to say the least as it feels a hell of a lot more than a 7rwkw gain, a gain is a gain though right ;) anyway read on :)

During our chats Bill made mention that the intake and headers were really holding it back, he couldn't easily just unbolt the headers so the next best thing was unclipping the airbox leaving it slightly ajar allowing a bit more air in but still going through the cotton filter, up on the dyno again for another run and it hit 285rwkw.

Proof in the pudding right there that the intake sure is holding it back.

To my surprise I came home and the OTR had arrived so now I'm just waiting for some sunlight to get stuck into it.

Not bad Darren considering it was only the base tune and with a little bit of tidying up there is more to be had even before fitting any more mods.

I think i'll have to quote you on the factory air intake next time someone suggests that the factory item is all that is needed :D

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have a picture of the dyno graph as well if your interested, all of us there at the time was very surprised with that result.

A big fail for the standard intake :)

Yes mate, post it up (please). It's conclusive proof of something we have always known but never really had concrete evidence to back that up.

Cheers

MACE

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief a tune by itself doens't yield a huge gain on these cars, around the 5-10rwkw on a relatively dead standard car, however it can help safely support all sorts of weird and wonderful mods :)

The intakes on the VE's in general seem to be quite restrictive, so the gain you saw doens't surprise me. When I get a chance I'll post up the 20rwkw gain on another LS3 with just an upgrade to an OTR

Cheers,
Steve

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Here we have attached a photo after the airbox was left ajar.

OTR is now on so bring on Friday :) The sound from that when under load is great although being suburban streets you have to stick to the speed limits.

Its like buying a new car :D

Being HSV I thought they would have been in a league of their own, clearly none of that performance goes on power given how restrictive the headers back and intake is.

Attachments

• Filter-Airbox-Ajar.jpg
    Filter-Airbox-Ajar.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 412

MACE

Reaction score
Here we have attached a photo after the airbox was left ajar.

OTR is now on so bring on Friday :) The sound from that when under load is great although being suburban streets you have to stick to the speed limits.

Its like buying a new car :D

Being HSV I thought they would have been in a league of their own, clearly none of that performance goes on power given how restrictive the headers back and intake is.

The airbox left ajar mod nice :p

It just goes to show how restrictive the factory item is, contrary to some people doubting the gains associated with some simple intake mods/kits

Much appreciated for the pic BTW :D

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
What a better way to spend the day pondering what lethal weapon I'll have when I collect it :D

It came and went, Bill ran the car up this morning whilst I was still there and a very healthy ~16rwkw gain just from the OTR itself (previously 277rwkw), he spent most of today putting the extractors and cats on the car, the end result :surprise:

After-Cats-and-Extractors.jpg

A picture tells a thousand words but I will say the car is absolutely insane!

How can I describe it, its like snapping your neck but snapping it clean off upon acceleration! It really is hard to put it into words but I am over the moon with the results, now to let the bank account balance recover a little and its time for valve springs and roller rockers :)

Once again a big thanks to Steve from MACE and Bill from Towler Mechanical.

In the next couple of weeks I hope to get back out there with Bill for another run so we can finish off the video for a show and tell.

Steve more logging coming your way, I can't see myself being out of the car too much this weekend....second thoughts forecast for tomorrow....rain...forecast for Sunday....rain.

Cheers

MACE

Reaction score
Ah good stuff Darren :D

Keep logging away, I dare say we'll be able to get a better figure then what we've currently got

In regards to the rockers it will add an approximately 10-15rwkw I'm guessing, one way to find our with your car though :)

Cheers,
Steve

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Steve, is this promo still on, have just come across it, have ve 06/07 v8
regards alan