Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Cold Air Intake

MACE

Reaction score
Is there any problems with chemical resistance, particularly petrol, oil and degreaser?

maldotcom2,

These boxes come with a lifetime warranty, and are made from quality ABS plastic which is the same stuff the factory boxes are made out of. Unless the cleaning products you plan on using contain acetone you'll be right :)

Here is a summary below about the material properties of the plastic we use below

"ABS polymers are resistant to aqueous acids, alkalis, concentrated hydrochloric and phosphoric acids, alcohols and animal, vegetable and mineral oils, but they are swollen by glacial acetic acid, carbon tetrachloride and aromatic hydrocarbons and are attacked by concentrated sulfuric and nitric acids. They are soluble in esters, ketones and ethylene dichloride.

While the cost of producing ABS is roughly twice the cost of producing polystyrene, ABS is considered superior for its hardness, gloss, toughness, and electrical insulation properties. It is degraded (dissolved) when exposed to acetone.[6] ABS is flammable when it is exposed to high temperatures, such as a wood fire. It will "boil", then burst spectacularly into intense, hot flames."

Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
Steve

1998GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 HSV VT GTS 5.7 Stroker
Hi Steve. I'm just wondering are your air intake made to order.What i'm thinking is,would i be able to get the top cover of the box without the hole for the window washer.But still powder coated black.Thanks

MACE

Reaction score
Hi Steve. I'm just wondering are your air intake made to order.What i'm thinking is,would i be able to get the top cover of the box without the hole for the window washer.But still powder coated black.Thanks

That won't be a problem as we have both styles in stock :)

Cheers
Steve

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Hi Steve,
How does the MACE CAI compare to a VS L67 OTR CAI in terms of fuel economy improvements?

Also, is the MACE CAI pod enclosure easy to modify so that a pipe can be run from it to the front bar of the car to access additional cold air? I was thinking that would enhance the effectiveness of the CAI

MACE

Reaction score
Hi Steve,
How does the MACE CAI compare to a VS L67 OTR CAI in terms of fuel economy improvements?

Also, is the MACE CAI pod enclosure easy to modify so that a pipe can be run from it to the front bar of the car to access additional cold air? I was thinking that would enhance the effectiveness of the CAI

Hey Bizmark,

The fuel economy improvements will be about the same. As for modifying the box the plastic is certainly easy to work with :)

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Steve

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Glad to hear your happy with the item FirstVR_JC :thumbsup:

Given that the pods we use are an oil less item they should be considered legal, provided you have no other inlet mods. In saying this though to revert back to standard would take between 15-30min, which would be a good opportunity to clean the filter anyways :)
So these are 100% legal?????
With a 70mm throttle body but hey who knows that without taking air intake pipe off??

MACE

Reaction score
Technical speaking, unless it's a genuine factory part, no product installed on a car is legal if it has an impact on ADR’s for which the car had to meet for compliance, unless it's been signed off by an engineer afterwards. This includes things like a cat back exhaust system a set of extractors even a simple air filter change (such a K&N item)

Going by EPA guidelines (which are strangely more lenient then compliance standards) which is what law enforcements offices generally go by with things like CAI’s, our intake system meets these standards as it runs an oil free pod which is secured and is a bolt on item (no holes drilled into the body work). Fortunately one of the reasons why law enforcement agencies don't follow the ADR rules to the letter is because about 95% of the cars on the road would fail, plus the lack of resources.

The irony is, proportionally speaking, is that car enthusiasts cars tend to be safer then the average Joe's because they generally have a greater awareness of any potential problems plus they really care about the condition of there car :D

Proof is in the pudding I guess in all the years we’ve been selling these kits we’ve never had anyone call back to complain that they’ve been defected for having one installed. Part of the reason I guess for this is that they also “look” factory like so it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb under the bonnet.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers
Steve :)