Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace Inlet Manifold Gaskets - Aluminium Replacement for OEM

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
Hi

Is anyone running the new Inlet Manifold Gaskets - Aluminium Replacement for the plastic OEM ones.

I am in the process of refurnishing my engine and I suggested to my mechanic that he considered the new Mace Aluminium ones. See link below for details.

Inlet Manifold Gaskets - Mace Engineering Group

My mechanic is prepared to give these a go however he some reservations regarding Aluminium being able to "crack" and get a good seal like the OEM plastic ones. He did acknowledge the some OEM ones can fail after 150000kms.

Anyone had these for a sufficient length of time and distance on their vehicle to confirm performance and durability.

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
I've had them in for 20,00 k's/16 months. No problems yet.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hi

Is anyone running the new Inlet Manifold Gaskets - Aluminium Replacement for the plastic OEM ones.

I am in the process of refurnishing my engine and I suggested to my mechanic that he considered the new Mace Aluminium ones. See link below for details.

Inlet Manifold Gaskets - Mace Engineering Group

My mechanic is prepared to give these a go however he some reservations regarding Aluminium being able to "crack" and get a good seal like the OEM plastic ones. He did acknowledge the some OEM ones can fail after 150000kms.

Anyone had these for a sufficient length of time and distance on their vehicle to confirm performance and durability.

The aluminium gaskets are OEM, they are supplied by GM and supercede the plastic type gasket.

GM P/N 89017825

DSCN4621.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Plastic gets brittle with age and fails, alloy doesn't. Being the same metal as the intake manifold thermal expansion/contractions rates will be the same which should also be better.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
The Alloy gaskets aren't made from sheet metal. They're a formed soft compound (yet stronger than ACL/ OEM plastic style) that lives well in even a F/I environment

Colloin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Isn't it the recommended Holden Coolant that destroys the plastic gaskets? (Dexcool). Use a silicate based coolant and there aren't the problems?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn't think so, rather just plastic becoming brittle with age and all the heating/cooling cycles.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
These gaskets have been used on the Holden V6 engines since 1988, and this problem has plagued these gaskets since the VN model which I think is before this Dex-cool came into use.

I've not had any other issues on my VN other than intake gaskets.

Maybe the stuff used in the US is different to what we use here?