Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Main causes of brake shudder

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
machine disk

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Dont Put Standard Rotors Back On As They Will Do The Same. Standard Rotors Are Made From **** Cast Iron. Get Dba's Either Plain, Slotted, Or Cross Drilled And Slotted rotors. No Matter How Many Times You Machine Them You Will Still Have The Same Problem. anyway, hotspots arent just 1mm deep per side (thats all disk machining takes off) they can go a couple of millimeters deep.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
It would seem that hako and ss16 have it right. Try googling 'Stop Tech' for an article by Carroll Smith on brake shudder (judder in US speak). Note that he suggests that pads and discs should not be replaced together.

May be worth trying slotted. I would be interested to hear whether other people have experienced brake shudder with DBA slotted discs.

It seems that it may be a particular pad/disc combination that causes a problem also.

Not sitting at traffic lighs with a foot on the brake, as I am wont to do, may not be good either, even without a hard stop prior. Yes, my car has brake shudder :).

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
ive noticed the same problem.. its my discs for sure. thrashing doesnt help.

might get them machined eventually.

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
I know this is an old thread, but my car does the same thing - shuddering when braking at high speeds (110 on freeway). There is also a groaning sound (sort of wooo wooo wooo).

I have changed the pads and the disks, but still get the sound and shuddering, but not as much now.

Any suggestions?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I know this is an old thread, but my car does the same thing - shuddering when braking at high speeds (110 on freeway). There is also a groaning sound (sort of wooo wooo wooo).

I have changed the pads and the disks, but still get the sound and shuddering, but not as much now.

Any suggestions?

Did you change front AND read discs or just the front?