Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Malaysian Airlines flight

VBhero

Reaction score
Website
www.australia4wd.com
Members Ride
VXII SS A4
So what your saying is that either the Malaysian ATC operators are useless as they should have been able to track the aircraft after the transponder was switched off or as I say the system is passive because it requires a signal from the aircraft for the radar system to interpret? Active/passive, Primary/secondary radar. Sorry, I might not have my terminology 100% but it seems that Malaysian ATC lost the aircraft after the transponder was switched off.

The pilots (or whom ever was in control) was obviously smart enough to switch the transponder off at or after they signed off from the Malaysian controllers so that they no longer took an interest in the aircraft. However, once it was noted that the aircraft was missing, would (or should) the Malaysian authorities not have checked the recordings of the nights activities? If they had and as you say, although no transponder signal was present they would still have a "blip" on the radar which they would have been able to track. Seems to me this didn't happen either because they are incompetent or there was nothing for them to see until they checked with a military tracking station.

Going of the most recent info, the aircraft ascended to 45,000ft and then came back down to 22,000ft rapidly and then returned to cruise altitude while flying back over Malaysian territory. As you say the civilian radar system should have been able to track the aircraft. Seems though that isn't the case from the info the Malaysian authorities have released.

I believe the military version of the transponder system is referred to as IFF.

I'm still of the belief that the ascent and then rapid descent was to either to incapacitate the passengers or at least indicate to the passengers that the flight was in serious trouble (to get compliance). The Boeing 777 systems are good enough that in a emergency situation it can put the aircraft into a rapid descent to get down to a safe altitude (like in the case of a de-pressurisation) all without input from the pilots.

I'm not saying Malaysian ATC is useless, some of the initial reports indicated that the last "contact" Malaysian ATC had with the aircraft was during handover to Vietnamese ATC. The area that it "vanished" is also apparently known as somewhat of a RADAR black spot (if you believe the media reports), which is lending more to the "someone knew what they were doing" theory. Don't forget that Primary RADAR has less range than Secondary. Anyone who knows anything about ATC, or indeed watched any Air Crash Investigators know how easily during handover an aircraft can be "missed". But as you said, there is normally recordings, so who knows what has happened. Was it indeed in a black spot when they lost contact? There is so much questionable info about the last known moments and afterwards that has not been released by the authorities, which raises questions in itself.
But in theory, yes there should have been an unidentified blip, show up somewhere. But, don't forget that the airspace is rather congested so who knows what happened. At the end of the day it is all speculation.
Heck, I read on News.com.au today that someone is claiming the aircraft "terrain followed" i.e flew below 5000ft to avoid RADAR. Certainly plausible, but would take a Pilot with big Kahoonas to do such things in a 777, and surely someone somewhere would have seen it and thought WTF... I know something like that would stick in my mind lol.

As for you ####stick keyboard warriors :boxing:... What I posted before is from my knowledge of the systems, you see, this **** is very much a integral part of my trade and my job for the past 13 years, and until recently I taught entire modules on both systems to new techs.
If you Google it and find that the all knowing Google agrees with what I have posted, then perhaps that should tell you something about the accuracy of what I posted.

PS... Anyone remember Under Siege 2...
or Maybe they flew into a Stargate?? :spot on:

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
As for you ####stick keyboard warriors :boxing:... What I posted before is from my head, you see, this **** is very much a integral part of my trade and my job for the past 13 years, and until recently I taught entire modules on both systems to new techs.
If you Google it and find that the all knowing Google agrees with what I have posted, then perhaps that should tell you something about the accuracy of what I posted.

In the future then, how about you leading with your knowledge rather than being a "####stick keyboard warrior" just telling everyone they are wrong or they have no idea then posting nothing to back that fact up.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
you are all wrong, all the passangers are all now on a mysterious Island that has ghosts and crap on it, and after 6 seasons everyone will just be over it and pissed with the ending...

or is it too soon?

VBhero

Reaction score
Website
www.australia4wd.com
Members Ride
VXII SS A4
You know, if all it takes is to switch off a transponder to make an aircraft disappear, makes you wonder if all the $$$ that have been spent on R&D into stealth technology and design have been a waste?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Apparently the search area has moved to about 2-3000km off WA coast, about the size of....between victoria and tasmania.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
An age test for some forum users.....