Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Man faces manslaughter charge after shooting intruder in own home.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Turd Ferguson, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Mandatory Fun!

Members Ride:
    Disco
    Man who shot Gold Coast home intruder is the 'real victim' | News.com.au

And this is what is wrong with this country, can't even defend yourself in your own home without being threatened with a prison sentence.

2. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    Id be surprised if he was actually found guilty considering the spate of armed robberies and shootings on the Gold Coast as of late. Be extremely easy for a defense lawyer to argue the man feared for his life.

In the end, its not really the coppers fault hes in the court room, hes killed someone. They cant just pat him on the back and send him on his way.

3. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    4 people break into a house and the poor owner gets charged???? IMO if a burglar cops a baseball bat in the snozz then bad luck. We all have occupational hazards to deal with.

Reaper

4. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
    think i might be moving back to the states.....

5. Hangman

Hangman Aspiring Sociopath

Members Ride:
    WK Land Yacht
    He took the ####ing gun off one of the intruders, how can he be charged at all?

6. vnathanx

vnathanx New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive
    they were trespassing though, what was he ment to do? i'd blast em lol

7. Turd Ferguson

Members Ride:
    Disco
    Give them a stern, "Im gonna have to ask you to leave"

8. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    99' VS Ute, 75' HJ Styleside Ute
    We all know what we would do, but it's bullshit that it all comes down to what we end up doing which in this poor guy's case, was killing someone. When it comes to the law, it seems that they remove everything from what happened and turn it from 'Man grapples an armed, masked intruder in his home & defends himself by shooting the man' into 'Man _____ ______ shoots _______ intruder, killing him'. It's shite, but police look at it from the law perspective, rather than what really happened. If he ends up getting convicted, which I highly doubt, then he'll be able to argue his case 100%.

9. vr94ss

vr94ss walks barefoot

Members Ride:
    VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
    I doubt he'll go down for that, although it _must_ go through the courts to establish the facts. Self defense allows you to use equal/justifiable force to defend yourself in Au. The intruder had already used a gun, I would think he is justified to use a gun in defense, even if it's the intruders gun.. Although that does mean that particular intruder is no longer a threat as he's be disarmed but as intent is a very important part of law... Anyway, I'm no lawyer, but I doubt if his story is true he'll be done for it.

One thing I'll say though.. Him being "laid in wait" for as a 29 year old makes me think there is more to this story and not a normal "home invasion/robbery."

10. luke23

luke23 New Member

Members Ride:
    vl
    i literally lol'ed haha

11. Dr HaxZaw

Dr HaxZaw New Member

Members Ride:
    R34 GT-T
    its is kind of stupid although i think the cops are only doing what they told by law... someone did die so there needs to be an investigation although in not sure he should be charged

on a lighter note im hoping to have my house (when i get one) surrounded by something like this:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  12. Jebadayah

Jebadayah New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6
    The point is, as stated above, he will most likely be found to have no case to answer when this goes to court. The coppers are just following procedure, it's not within their discretion to decide his guilt or innocence, that's up to the court system, which hopefully will do the right thing.

13. 304runner

304runner ( .Y. )

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
    It wont go far. He'll get off...

14. Turd Ferguson

Members Ride:
    Disco
    Yeah but honestly this shouldnt even be a court issue. if someone breaks into YOUR house they are fair game imo.

Need more of this

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  15. Astranomical

Astranomical Ecotec just kicked in yo

Members Ride:
    Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust
    I think its a complete waste of time and resources. To my way of thinking, if you choose to break into someone else's home, then you lose ALL rights. Given that there were four of them, and one of him and that both them and him were armed, it was either going to be them or him, with them having the advantage, given safety in numbers and all. Even though yes, he did kill someone, I still think its a complete waste of time and resources taking this to court.

16. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
    if im not mistaken in the states if one of the criminal cohorts your robbing a house with is killed by the owner, you and all the other participants will be charged with felony murder. dosent matter if you didnt actually kill him, even if hes your brother, if he is killed as a result of your committing a felony you and they are getting charged.... and the owner doesnt so much as see the inside of a cop car.... its the exact opposite of here.... lol

17. Crisis63

Crisis63 New Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
    Ill take this process thanks. You really wouldn’t want to live in a country where you “lose all rights”. The law is not black and white and situations can present where you may be on the end of something you weren’t guilty of. The facts need to come out and if they are what they appear, what the defendant claims, I am sure “justice” will prevail. And make no mistake I would defiantly defend my house and family the same way.

18. vr94ss

vr94ss walks barefoot

Members Ride:
    VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
    Hi TVR, I know we haven't always got on but I want to make things right. Come around for a beer and check out the bonnet scoop I have for my vn, about 11pm, yep, see ya mate. 11:15, boom! F'aeiou'cking home invader! See why it should be a court issue?

19. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Our legal system requires that cases of this nature be heard in court and determined by a jury of our peers. It's not the job of the cops to determine who is right and who is wrong - they have to investigate, assemble the facts, prepare a court brief and present it. The victim in this case still has to be charged to enable the court case to proceed. Yeah, it sounds wrong, but would you really want the police to have to decide "yes" or "no" in serious matters like this?

The victom won't be found guilty - a similar case in Brisbane a few years back, when an old bloke shot a young intruder armed with a piece of timber, saw the victim found not guilty on the grounds of self defence and that's probably how this case will go too.

20. 304runner

304runner ( .Y. )

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
    Bottom line is, he has to go through court. Its not really something the cops can treat with discretion. I do feel sorry for the guy who shot the intruder mainly because I'm under the impression he didn't want to kill him based on where he was shot. Instinct for me would be to aim for the chest, not the leg.