Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manifold Spacer for VY V6 - Aluminum 12mm

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
COLD AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD INSULATOR 12MM FOR HOLDEN VX - VY ECOTEC V6 - Mace Engineering Group

Hi Mace

I refer to the above link and I would like to know if Mace can supply a manifold spacer for the VY 3800 V6 ecotec commodore in aluminum 12mm material.

I understand the advertising and focus is on the cooling effects benefits of the composite material and its many times less conductive compared to aluminum.

However I would to know if you can supply one in aluminum and its approx cost.

I had one of the composite materials spacers and in winter it was just too cold.
In stop start traffic it got just as hot as the lower part of the engine.

I think my vehicle runs better hot and the main benefit to torque is due to the longer runner.

I have a cold air intake to help with denser air charge.

Thanks

MACE

Reaction score
Hi vsv6dude

Unfortunately, we don't have any slabs of aluminium laying around we can use to machine up the insulator for you. Why do you think your car runs better hotter? Generally speaking, the cooler the intake air temperature is, the more oxygen there is available for combustion and the more efficiently the motor will run.

Kind regards
Damian

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
I recently changed my 180 deg F thermostat back to a 195 deg F thermostat and car runs much peppier with the OEM thermstat.

I had to change the 180 deg thermostat as it did not give me any warm air from the car heater system it is just too cold as my cooling system is efficient.

Prior to the change I checked with a USA Camaro Performance Site and they now recommend a 180 deg thermostat only for the supercharged V6 not the naturally aspirated vehicle.

The power increase from a 180 deg F compared to a 195 deg F was approx 2 to 2.5 rwhp when this was tested on their dyno for a basic NA V6 3800 stock vehicle.

This made me think for NA vehicles running too cool may not be best for optimum performance and engine life compared to the power gains.

As I have extractors and straight through exhaust the car is already running quite cool compared with the stock header and exhaust, I figured an Aluminium Spacer may be more efficient in my circumstances.

I have changed my view and running really cool is probably more applicable to highly modded cars where timing and knock is more of a concern to guard against engine damage.

Its OK if its not available so be it.

Last edited:

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
I recently changed my 180 deg F thermostat back to a 195 deg F thermostat and car runs much peppier with the OEM thermstat.

I had to change the 180 deg thermostat as it did not give me any warm air from the car heater system it is just too cold as my cooling system is efficient.

Prior to the change I checked with the USA ZZPerformance and they now recommend a 180 deg thermostat only for the supercharged V6 not the naturally aspirated vehicle.
The power increase from a 180 deg F compared to a 195 deg F was only 1.5 horsepower when this was tested on their dyno for a basic V6 3800 stock vehicle.

This made me think for NA vehicles running too cool may not be best for optimum performance and engine life compared to the power gains.

As I have extractors and straight through exhaust the car is already running quite cool compared with the stock header and exhaust, I figured an Aluminium Spacer may be more efficient in my circumstances.

You are talking about two different things.

If you change the thermostat temp of your engine you need to get the ECU settings changed to match, otherwise the car will run sub-optimally, as you have experienced.

Having a cooler intake for air will give you a greater density of air and thus more efficiency/power.

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
You are talking about two different things.

If you change the thermostat temp of your engine you need to get the ECU settings changed to match, otherwise the car will run sub-optimally, as you have experienced.

Having a cooler intake for air will give you a greater density of air and thus more efficiency/power.

Yeah I once believed that but no longer, the fuel needs to be atomized properly in the cold weather.

Like I said maybe your proposal is correct and applicable for highly modded or supercharged vehicles in my reading for NA vehicles little benefit and little return.

With respect to altering the factory setting no way, I prefer to change to OEM thermostat.

On MACEs site there is no mention if you change to a 180 thermostat you need to change the ECU settings, this process can start to get expensive.

FYI there was dude on the street commodores website changed his cold air intake arrangement as the vehicle was running just too cold {with all of the other cooling mods to increase the air density etc} and his fuel use much to high. He changed the air intake so not to draw directly from outside the vehicle and the fuel consumption improved considerably.

In keep with this I now feel an aluminum spacer would be more suitable as the primary function of the spacer is to increase the runner length. Cooling is a secondary function because of the material used.

Last edited:

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
I had my thermostat temp dropped in my VT v6 after getting a new radiator (I didn't realise they had dropped the temp) and the car was running sub optimal. I contacted a tuner who sent me a stock ECU with the temp settings suitably adjusted.

Quote from the tuner
Just be aware that the tune needs quite a few changes to suit a 82c thermostat, all the warm up temperature enablers need changing like for example lean cruise wont engage till after 90c, canister purge wont suck the vapor from the fuel tank till after that and many more, ....
A cooler thermostat is better for your heads and gaskets in the long term, with proper changes to the tune there is no fuel economy problems.

Anyway, that worked for my VT and the car ran fine for years with similar if not slightly better fuel economy than before the original temp adjustment. The car is still going strong (I know the new owner) and we live in Canberra where winter temps are sub-zero.

However, if you really intent on getting an aluminium spacer to increase the runner length, take a gasket to a water cutter and get them to make you one out of aluminium plate.
When I put the Mace spacer in my Alloytec I used 2 gaskets so if I needed to pull it apart it could be done easily.

HTH, Nick