Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual Licence

Stephen_Vn_Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 Exec
Hi,
I am currently on my L plates, doing automatic licence. I plan to finish my 2 years on auto, but, eventually I wanna go do manual. I told myself I would do auto for 2 years first, that way I can get familiar with the roads, and road rules before I worry about controlling gears.

How do I go about going from Auto to Manual licence when the time comes? Especially, when I have an auto car, no manual. Eventually I plan to get a manual, thats why im asking

Thanks,

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
if you get an auto liscnece you must drive an auto.
im pretty sure u can start driving a manual once you are off your P's

BOXY1

Reaction score
just go for your manual licence straight away, you can always do a few months in an auto to get used to driving on the road and then move to learning in the manual. The whole point of the "L" plates is so you can learn how to drive and be safe on the road, there is absolutely no point getting your auto licence and then going back and doing it all again to get your manual licence, unless you like wasting time and money.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
i know in vic, once you get off your ps, your licence becomes completely open, can drive auto and manual. dont have to do any other tests, etc, just drive it. not sure if wa is the same though. id either ask your driving instructor(if your parents arent doing it) or ring the wa transport department and ask them.

wayvr

R.I.P AAA-99P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx cluby
in snw on your red p;s you can only drive auto or manual .. depends what you go for and once you are on your greens you can driv anything

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Tassie is different. If you get an Auto licence, you stay on that regardless if you get your open licence or not.

To go for your manual 'P's, if you already have an auto licence, it's my understanding that you only have to display 'L' plates when driving a manual, do your 50 hours, and then sit the driven test.

You don't have to apply for another learners permit.

The Darkness

Junk Yard Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VT V6 A4
dont worry about those who say jus tgo for you manuals. i am doing the same thing. although im probly the one in a million who prefers to drive an auto:p

pendulum

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore (50th An.), Holden Cruze CDX Diesel
MMM autos :D Built for lazy men and women :D *drives an auto cause he hates the old Tarago which is manual* :p

haha And yeah, who said that on NSW you can drive either on your Green P's is right if that helps :p

Hmm... as far as cars go, what do you guys think... people should have to learn to drive a manual just in case they ever end up using one for a weekend or whatever in my opinion... got thoughts? :p
/end hijack :p

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Yeah go manual straight away....it aint hard after a little bit of practice. I think the worst thing for most people is stopping and going....but just practice on a back street or out of town on a back road until u get the hang of it. :thumbsup:

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
i have my auto's, here in qld on ur l's u can drive either, but if u go for ur auto when u go for ur p's than u can only drive auto, but if u go man than u and u pass u can drive both, i got my auto's altho i can drive man i faild 2 times on man test but not coz of how i drove but coz i app didnt observe properly so i ended up going auto an got it 1st go. altho now i want my man lic, id do regret it now coz its gunna cost more then wot it would have, but its it choice an only u can decide