Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual Licence

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
man... manuals are piss easy...

got my manual p's first time and haven't looked back.

get used to roads on L for a couple of months and then jump inot a manual and get going, its really not hard. I used ot be so **** with take off but once oyu learn a clutches pattern it easy!

Totally agree! I got my L's on my 16th birthday and drove our manual car home from the test. Sure I was a bit sloppy on the take off and gear changes for the first few months, but it didn't take long for it to get to the point where I wasn't even thinking about it. And like azkwazere I got my manual licence first go.....

People might (I'm sure they will!!) disagree with me, but I believe learning/driving a manual car makes you a better driver. You have more control over the car, and it's not just a 'point and shoot' thing.

caminsa

Cam...mateeeeee
Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute
hahah SA is awesome . i got my normal L's and i drove both auto and manual .. whats the rules if you get caught driving manual on an auto license ?? why do they do it

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I did auto from 16-17 3/4's... Until i had 6 driving lessons in a manual & passed with 97% on my test @ 8:30 in the morning reverse parallel parking etc on main roads...

It's easy after the first couple lessons.

Cheers
MaT

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Please, no-one take this the wrong way but I'm just extremely surprised at the amount of people who even have to consider getting an automatic or manual license.

Perhaps I'm of the mindframe that if you can't drive a manual then you shouldn't be driving a car at all, but with that being said I think my mentality for that comes from the way I was brought up. Driving an auto or manual has never been an issue for me. I don't remember if I took my license test in an auto or manual and that was only seven years ago. Which do I prefer to drive? Couldn't care less!

I'm certainly interested to see how this thread goes.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Please, no-one take this the wrong way but I'm just extremely surprised at the amount of people who even have to consider getting an automatic or manual license.

Perhaps I'm of the mindframe that if you can't drive a manual then you shouldn't be driving a car at all, but with that being said I think my mentality for that comes from the way I was brought up. Driving an auto or manual has never been an issue for me. I don't remember if I took my license test in an auto or manual and that was only seven years ago. Which do I prefer to drive? Couldn't care less!

I'm certainly interested to see how this thread goes.

I am with you, Manual comes naturally, If you cant get the co-ordination you shouldn't be driving at all. From what I've seen, Anyone who can't drive a manual is very caucious and quite scary drivers on the road. I was brought up driving an auto, Always wanting to drive a manual.. So i did it, manual license first shot, And boy was I proud.

Cheers
MaT

EDIT:

In vic if you have an auto license, caught driving a manual It's a decent fine... While on [P] Plates.

If you have a manual license you can drive both auto & manual.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
what I'm saying is though Mat, when I first drove a manual it wasn't a case of feeling proud that I could do it. It was just expected. Does that make sense? Being able to drive a manual isn't a bragging right for me. It's expected. Many many members on here will recall the exact same thing.

When I first arrived here in the US I was talking to a guy about my previous rally cars and how I enjoyed racing. He told me that he could race also...because he could "shift" bear in mind that it was the first time I've actually fallen off of a bar stool!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
The only time I've had trouble driving a manual transmission was a friends old Holden with a 3 spd manual on the steering column....I didn't know where the bloody gears were! They had to be there somewhere!

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
I started learning in a manual from day one. Was driving manuals on my L's up untill about 2mths b4 I went for my P's when I bought my first car which was unfortunately an auto. I drove that untill the day of my test when I was gnna drive the instructors car (which was manual) he pulled out 1/2hr b4 the test as he had double booked and left me to use my car. So now I'm stuck with an auto restriction for 2 more years.

As I understand in Vic. you can drive either when you get your full license. But if you want to take the test again in a manual and need some practice you gotta have a 'driver under instruction' sign on your car. I'm just gnna wait the next 2yrs for me full license.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
what I'm saying is though Mat, when I first drove a manual it wasn't a case of feeling proud that I could do it. It was just expected. Does that make sense? Being able to drive a manual isn't a bragging right for me. It's expected. Many many members on here will recall the exact same thing.

When I first arrived here in the US I was talking to a guy about my previous rally cars and how I enjoyed racing. He told me that he could race also...because he could "shift" bear in mind that it was the first time I've actually fallen off of a bar stool!

Yeah I get you, It is expected. Just like when applying for some jobs, 'You got a license? ''Yep'' is it manual ''Nope'' Oh sorry, were looking for someone that can drive.. hehe Least I can say yes to that aswell..

Manual should be expected, Because Driving a manual is what drivings about in my opinion, You actually have to pay attention to your car when you start etc..

Cheers
MaT

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
Yeah I get you, It is expected. Just like when applying for some jobs, 'You got a license? ''Yep'' is it manual ''Nope'' Oh sorry, were looking for someone that can drive.. hehe Least I can say yes to that aswell..

Manual should be expected, Because Driving a manual is what drivings about in my opinion, You actually have to pay attention to your car when you start etc..

Cheers
MaT

yeh i agree you guys ave got it spot on! :thumbsup:

cheers
ryan