Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual swap a VY

Lachlan211

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Commodore Executive
I'm thinking of manual swapping my V6 VY Commodore, and I have a few questions
Firstly and probably most importantly, is it worth it? I've swapped quite a few transmissions previously (5-speed on a VZ, 3-speed on a 1986 Mazda B2000, and 4-speed on a different VY), but the two Commodores were both auto - auto, while the Mazda was a manual - manual, so I've never done a conversion. So would it be worth it or would it just be better to buy an already manual Commodore.
Secondly, what diff ratio would you recommend I use? Or should I keep the one that's already in my auto
Thirdly, what transmission should I even use? The two main ones I can think of to do are the T5 and Getrag, but I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the Getrag on here, and the T5 didn't even come in the VY so would that be dumb? Or are there other transmissions you guys would recommend?
Thanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy spac s2 getrag manual redhot
yeah in my opinion it’s more than worth it but it’s totally a personal preference

Two gearbox’s the getrag which is horrible but it’s the only manual box that came out vt to vy. And the t5 which is a great box to use (however) it’s a lot more work to make it work and there’s a lot of custom work such as

1. pedal box will need to be modified cause it’s a cable clutch set up where the clutch pedal is for a hydraulic set up in the vy

2. tail shaft is a different length than the auto you will need a special size made

3. Ecu will need to be tuned cause the speed sensor is different + a few other things are a drama

4. An exhaust will need to be made cause the cable gets in the way

5. crossmember is an issue you may have to make one not hard or I hear a t56 6 speed crossmember out of a vt vx vy vz MIGHT WORK

And as for the getrag I have nothing good to say about them apart from they’re easier to put into the vy and that’s only cause they came out with em

Oh and a few added advantages to going with the t5 are they’re more common so parts are easier to come by the flywheel is machinable and they’re so much stronger like they were paired up with the 5.0L V8 in the vn to vt ss commodore but the impute shaft is different so don’t get a V8 one but it’s basically the same box as the V8

so I hope that helps have fun drive hard and don’t get caught

H

harrop.senator

I've never had an issue with a getrag apart from input shaft bearing whine and I've had that in a t5 as well.

I have had bent clutch forks , cable supports pulling from the wall, having to washer stack cables as after 10k on a hd clutch and new cable , pedal was sinking.

Haven't had many stretch issues with bikes before there time but t5's have always annoyed me. To the point I looked at hydraulic clutch swapping my last one.

I'd just run a getrag it all bolts in and they're not that bad.

Lachlan211

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've never had an issue with a getrag apart from input shaft bearing whine and I've had that in a t5 as well.

I have had bent clutch forks , cable supports pulling from the wall, having to washer stack cables as after 10k on a hd clutch and new cable , pedal was sinking.

Haven't had many stretch issues with bikes before there time but t5's have always annoyed me. To the point I looked at hydraulic clutch swapping my last one.

I'd just run a getrag it all bolts in and they're not that bad.
Thanks, although the comment above yours shows what I meant, there is a lot of bad stuff about the Getrag's here. I'm planning on heavily modifying the one I want to switch transmissions now down the road; so would the Getrag be the best choice since its apparently short-lasting but I will probably be engine swapping it anyway so it not lasting forever won't matter too much. Would the Getrag be the best as a sort of intro to auto - manual swapping?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Look the getrag is fine if your just driving but if you wanna have some fun T5 all the way but like I said they’re a lot harder to put in. I’m still not a big fan of the getrag dealers choice really it all depends on how you drive what you do when your behind the wheel :)

Lachlan211

Reaction score
Members Ride
Look the getrag is fine if your just driving but if you wanna have some fun T5 all the way but like I said they’re a lot harder to put in. I’m still not a big fan of the getrag dealers choice really it all depends on how you drive what you do when your behind the wheel :)
So if for example as a purely hypothetical scenario, how would Getrag's do under occasional legally ambiguous wheel sliding. Lmao

Reaction score
Members Ride
So if for example as a purely hypothetical scenario, how would Getrag's do under occasional legally ambiguous wheel sliding. Lmao
NOT that I would know but they like to break I had a mate who did something silly and broke 2nd but my t5 love a good slide hypothetically speaking of course :)

H

harrop.senator

Have banged third gear with a getrag.

Have done 120k KMs combined in two cars with a getrag.

Both had shorter diff gears , both had headers . I don't sit on the brake or clutch dump but I've never had any issues pointing and shooting.

I was doing ring gaps on a super 6 big enough to handle nitrous and 15+lbs boost last night.

Have 3 getrags boxes in the shed and going to see how well they last.

Flat shifting and clutch dumping is what I've found kills boxes.

The flywheels aren't machinable true but $700 gets you one that is and a decent clutch.

I've still not paid more then $400 for a getrag they're usually quite easily replaceable.

A custom tailshaft is around $900.
Work to the exhaust would be $200 crush bends $400 bent mandrel
Then you've got cross member issues and tune/harness issues.

That's before the $6-900 in pedal box , box , flywheel and clutch.

Throw a getrag at it or don't bother and just buy them when they come up cheap as spare. You can change them on the floor in an hour.

I've ran Nissan 71c boxes (Silvia , r31 , vl non turbo spec) have known people to kill them with 230 rwhp. My RB 25 r31 Ran 280-390rwhp over the time and I flapped the flywheel and pressure plate and changed the friction disc three times on the same box.

I had a few of them waiting for it to go , never did.

Don't snatch gears , use your weight transfer , stiffen the rear suspension and diff set up. 5k clutch dumps in second to get on the brake and then trying third I wouldn't reccomend.

Lachlan211

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have banged third gear with a getrag.

Have done 120k KMs combined in two cars with a getrag.

Both had shorter diff gears , both had headers . I don't sit on the brake or clutch dump but I've never had any issues pointing and shooting.

I was doing ring gaps on a super 6 big enough to handle nitrous and 15+lbs boost last night.

Have 3 getrags boxes in the shed and going to see how well they last.

Flat shifting and clutch dumping is what I've found kills boxes.

The flywheels aren't machinable true but $700 gets you one that is and a decent clutch.

I've still not paid more then $400 for a getrag they're usually quite easily replaceable.

A custom tailshaft is around $900.
Work to the exhaust would be $200 crush bends $400 bent mandrel
Then you've got cross member issues and tune/harness issues.

That's before the $6-900 in pedal box , box , flywheel and clutch.

Throw a getrag at it or don't bother and just buy them when they come up cheap as spare. You can change them on the floor in an hour.

I've ran Nissan 71c boxes (Silvia , r31 , vl non turbo spec) have known people to kill them with 230 rwhp. My RB 25 r31 Ran 280-390rwhp over the time and I flapped the flywheel and pressure plate and changed the friction disc three times on the same box.

I had a few of them waiting for it to go , never did.

Don't snatch gears , use your weight transfer , stiffen the rear suspension and diff set up. 5k clutch dumps in second to get on the brake and then trying third I wouldn't reccomend.
ok thanks, I think I'll go with the getrag then with all the recommendations

H

harrop.senator

All good man my attitude might change when I get my license back after Christmas haha but I've still not broken one, worn one out. Not broken one.

I think they get a bad rap or people are trying to flat shift with worn linkages and quicker then the synchros will allow.