Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal socket install

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Yes I just figured that out, Now do I use the usb to power the module and the printer for data transfer?

Just want to confirm this.

Thanks for your help.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yes Jim that's correct : ) USB is for the power

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Yeah thanks, I am just a bit skeptical about messing around with good old parallel interfaces, and eproms stuff like that, the instructions weren't that clear. I have seen interfaces go up in smoke, blown parallel interfaces on motherboards stuff like that. Just wanted to confirm, as I was wondering how the software would read the controller only through usb as it didn't create a virtual lpt or com port when I plugged the usb cable.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Forget your modern plug and plug rubbish Jim, old school hard wired stuff with lotsa jumpers was allways more reliable :).

I had this dream last night that I had my garden on some empty council land and one day I went to water it and it was bulldozed and some factory or something was unloading parts to build something there. All the town was so upset that the crazy garden where that weird hippy was building all these years was just destroyed like that and everyone had big protests and got stuck into them, revolution! :p. Well anyway then I realised in my dream that my garden was really at my parents house (I belived I had two copies of the same garden) so that was a relief but then my Dad told me hes selling in one months time and if I wanted my trees I had to dig them up and move them!!!!!! so I had more stress, then I finally woke up and everyone was sane and normal again but it has made me need to go for a drive and visit my garden just to be sure everything is cool down there :p. The point of all that is, I wont be able to answer any more questions untill later tonight : )

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
LOL, yeah I was just brought up in the good old days of when stuff wasn't so tuff.
I am having trouble burning the hsv image to the chip I get a Write Sector 0 error. I can't remember what that error is, I remember burning eproms years ago, I used to get this error and I can't remember what it is. I will do some research in the meaning time, but you wouldn't know what is causing this error?
Luckily I saved the default info off the chip to a bin file, I can load that back on okay. I have made the hsv image into 256 but no luck yet.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I haven't gone yet Jim :) make sure you have it set to the Atmel 29c256 in the burning software have the dip switches and jumpers set right for that chip stack the hsv chip to 256 in tunerpro in the binstacker section F5?, 16 32 16 are the settings you want, with a bit of luck Chuff or VP_Luke can help you out while I'm gone :)

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Thanks, but I did it, *smacks myself on forehead* I had to set the jumpers "which the program shows me how to do". Helps to do this.
But I just went to my local Dick Smith/Tandy store and they didn't have any 28 sockets, but I bought two 24 sockets and had the idea of joining them together. But now to find out the at29 chip adapter doesn't fit into the IC sockets :(. So I might go to my original idea and maybe get hold of a ZIF 28 socket and solder into the memcal, just means I can't put the chip in this weekend :(

I am yet to find out the difference between the HSV and the stock chip which I downloaded the image file from just to see what changes were made, which might help me to learn how to modify the settings.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I have a problem now, with the base chip socket, the car runs in limp mode when I have it plugged in, it can't be the custom chip I programmed as I put the stock chip in the 28 pin socket and same thing. But my original chip that I had in there the first place works okay. I have checked all the pins with a multimeter and continuity on all of them. I will keep playing, but any ideas?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
What do you mean base chip socket? fair chance the legs on the socket aren't soldered quite good enough or two pins are joined it will be something like this

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey any1, I put the 28 pin socket in n the "greenfoam performance"(U like that greeny?)eprom, but now the blue cover thingo wont go back on even tho I've pushed the pins in2 the memcal as far as I can while heating the pins/ solder and pushing the eprom on as far as I can. Do I leave it off or should it go back on. I don't want 2 butcher it being so delicate...