Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

monaro bonnet measurements

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
Hello all i have a small project idea in mind to reproduce a monaro style bonnet from a standard vt bonnet no fiberglass all steel.
To begin with i have a donour vt so a spare bonnet, i also work in metal fabrication (not panel beating thow) I'm reasonably confident i can replicate the bonnet but my problem is measurements length, width, hight, how far from the back of the bonnet the flute starts to where it ends, width of the curve down the side at the highest point to work out the curve angle etc. hopefully you get my point.
Anyway i don't have access to a original bonnet so i am hoping someone could help please, when i start the project which won't be for a little while, I will post pics in stages if anyone is interested seeing how i did it (as long as i don't stuff it up lol)
I was told "You won't be able to do that" like waving a red flag i am determined to do it now and make it look good with no bog I'm hoping a filler primer then paint at the end.
Thanks in advance for any help

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
this might work out easier?

VT-VX & ALL CV8 MONARO'S GTO BONNET KIT GENUINE GMH

I honestly think it would be crazy hard to get it looking right, I think you'd need access to a bonnet to make a mould or something - then you'g get all the correct measurements including heights etc - even if it was out by a little bit someone who knows them would look at it and know it was out.

Last edited:

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
this might work out easier?

VT-VX & ALL CV8 MONARO'S GTO BONNET KIT GENUINE GMH

I honestly think it would be crazy hard to get it looking right, I think you'd need access to a bonnet to make a mould or something - then you'g get all the correct measurements including heights etc - even if it was out by a little bit someone who knows them would look at it and know it was out.

Gday mpower, yer i know it would be very hard, for me that's part of the point of it. and i have no doubt people in the know would know but if i can get it close and it didn't look out of place I'd be happy.
Another reason is i have been told i wouldn't be able to do it. I have done a fair few things i have been told the same plus the bonnet i have is a spare so if i do stuff up nothing lost (its more the challenge now)
This would be my first pannel mod but yer i have fitted and engineered a vn v6 into a toyota ute,which i know has been done and kits available etc but from radiator to gearbox was all vn and all under bonnet stuff was matched and it looked like it was factory fitted (wish i had photo's to post of it but i no longer have it). No kits No help the only things i got anyone else to do was the tail shaft mod as i couldn't balance it and i got a auto elec to remove the vats. also i helped fit a engine into a project truck that was wild a 18 cylinder 35ltr world war 2 rotory plane engine, what else rebuilt a world war 2 bren gun carrier that was in peaces and more (I do have photo's of the engine pre fitted and the bren gun carrier) so I'm not scared to have a go at things only prob i have now is i dont have access to a bonnet to get the measurments.