Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2006 VZ SS 6L Manual ute! (never dial-up friendly)

Discussion in 'VY - VZ - WK - WL - V2' started by DevilDRake, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    I'd be going 10-50, especially if you're going to 'drive' it properly lol.

DevilDRake likes this.
  2. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    So I did my engine service today, filter was a z160 so I'll know that from now on..

Stupid v8s and their bash plates couldn't see what type of filter it was until I took it off.

Anyway filied it up with HPR10 and it runs and sounds great so no issues from me.

On another note, my clutch has always been a little "sticky" but today is the first time I actually rode the clutch a bit for a decent 1st gear take off all the way to 3rd and after that the clutch was so much smoother on the pedal and lighter... but it's engaging perfectly fine, not leaking etc.

Only thing I could think of is that the slave cylinder was getting stuck or something but now it's even nicer to drive.

Trayner likes this.
  3. Trayner

Trayner Fresh prince of Pakky

Members Ride:
    Vz ss 6.0L Thunder , Vz S One Tonner
    have you tryed bleeding it yet ? might just be a bit of air stuck in it

4. skappascrap

skappascrap Herp is for the derp.

Members Ride:
    '02 VY SV8
    +1 for bleeding.
    A mate and I had similar clutch drama on a S14 we were working on, bled it from all 3 bleed nipples and it was right as rain!

5. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    Well I haven't had clutch problems since but i feel I should still bleed it.. one day haha!

So yesterday I fitted up higher rear springs, short shifter, new gearbox oil, and fix the damn lock on my R/h door. The rod was catching on the door card because I must of put it on somewhere wrong when doing the stereo in the past, so the locking indicator kept popping off. Drove me insane but never fixed it until today haha.

New spring on the R/H side, i know it's a little high but it kept hitting my driveway so it needed to be done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway a few pics, the short shifter bolts, even undoing the crossmember/centre tailshaft and dropping the gearbox, the front 2 bolts were the biggest cunt to get to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made sure i loctited every bolt inside the short shifter assembly, even though the bolts all thread through and have a nyloc nut, I'm pretty sure my brother had an issue where his kept coming undone so i loctited the shit out of it. Shifts so much better now, short as hell throws and no issues going into any gears.

Good news and bad, when i drained my gearbox oil it came out practicially clean. Good in theory but since i bloody drained it i had to put the new oil in. For anyone who hasn't done it before, it's 4.4L, and i filled it through the shifter inside the car so i didn't have to use a pump into the reverse light switch.

Also went for a quick squirt in the hills with my brother and his mate since he just got his P's.

[​IMG]

So long story short pretty much everything in the car is serviced from diff to the engine, besides brake fluid and clutch fluid.. Brakes will be done when I do the cam no doubt, and the clutch fluid I'm putting off as the bleeder is in a shit of a spot.

In other news (I know, it's dragging on), i talked to my tuner regarding camshafts. I was going to fit the VCM480 (224/228 110LSA) which would be a middle-range camshaft, but with a very grumpy idle and snappy throttle response due to the low LSA, but would lose a little in top end.

The tuner talked me out of it saying most people regret getting a smaller camshaft and go bigger in the end, which i'm sitting on the fence about. But he suggested a VCM713, which is 233/238 112LSA. Very massive cam, but the power doesn't come until 4K which just isn't going to suit me.

Long story short, i'm still going to either go with:

VCM714 - 232/234 but with a 114LSA (old VCM7 was 112LSA) RPM range 2600-7K - not as grumpy and more well mannered, has just as big of a torque hit from mid range all the way to redline

VCM480 - 224/228 110LSA RPM range 2200-6400- Should keep day to day driveability and snap on the torque at midrange but run out of puff at the very top, seems better for daily driving and the camshaft idle note is amazing.

(Idle vid: https://www.facebook.com/VCM.Perfor...notif_t=video_reply&notif_id=1487128422378738)

So 480 drives better, sounds cooler, but the 714 will snap the same as the 480 but keep pulling to redline. Only kicks in 400rpm after the 480, but you know.

VCM 480 - Roughly 285/290RWKW
    VCM 714 - Roughly 310RWKW

Need help deciding. The 714 will be faster but won't sound anywhere near as good lol

Trayner and Gaiter like this.
  6. afstruct

afstruct Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Lol , life's tough when the dilemma is choosing the right camshaft !!
    But seriously I know the dilemma of what to choose and with both mine I've gone conservative and street use and I love it but I do miss not having the extra revs .
    I'd guess you'd not be really disappointed with either choice.
    So I'll throw one suggestion for thought, the vcm714 and shorter gearing = more acceleration and bring the revs into play

7. Trayner

Members Ride:
    Good work man , I was lucky as was able to do my short shifter out of the car lol . Those bolts at the front where done up tight couldn't imagine undoing them in the car haha

8. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    What type of camshaft did you get dude?

Haha man if you saw how we did it you'd laugh. Had him inside the car pushing two thumbs on it to undo it, while i was underneath trying to pull it also. Doing it up was even more of a prick, I'm taking the gearbox out next time lol!

Well i had another lengthy conversation with the tuner, and long story short i'm going to go with a VCM713 - 233/238 112LSA.
    In a 5.7L the power band starts at 4200RPM, but in a 6L with my gearing it should be around 3500RPM. He advised it'll be the exact same power down low as now but then kick in from 3500RPM all the way to 7000RPM. He said the driveablility between the VCM714 and 713 would be the same from the tuning and I wouldn't notice the difference, so might aswell get a big stick. I go to gym at 5AM every morning so i'm going to feel sorry for my neighbours (and i start the car in the garage right next to my girlfriends sleeping head lol)

Trayner likes this.
  9. afstruct

afstruct Member

Members Ride:
    What type of camshaft did you get dude?

Haven't done one in the monaro yet, simply installed supercharger and intercooler, tune and go!! Still runs just a cat back exhaust, standard airbox , even still has the maf meter in the intake . Plans are to eventually do exhaust, intake, forged bottom end, lite head work, cam, more boost , diff , yeah where do you stop.!

Maloo's the ol 5l so comparing apples to oranges , they need more work . One day when it needs a rebuild more compression, maybe 355.
    Cam I went with was a crow 4502 218/214 113 lsa revs 1900 to 5000
    I did think about their 4503 227/220 113 lsa revs 2400 to 5500
    But without a stall it would have been annoying
    The maloo's the everydayer so that 1900 to 4000/4200 revs is where it's at and suites that, it's just that you want more !

I wouldn't notice the difference, so might aswell get a big stick. I go to gym at 5AM every morning so i'm going to feel sorry for my neighbours (and i start the car in the garage right next to my girlfriends sleeping head lol)

My garage and carport are at the back so have go past mine and neighbors houses at 5am, and if on arvos then get home around 1230 am haven't had any complaints so far.

My mate who helped me do the cam heard it for the first time on the road the other night on way home from work . I go, i don't think it's not that lol , he says it's loud , just enough to attract unwanted attention, hasn't so far . He recons it sounds better accelerating than idling, but then the ol 5l aways sound pretty good

10. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    Yeah it's a bit hard to compare a 5L to the 6L with camshaft specs, but i guess i'll figure it out.

I was going to get those adjustable mufflers you can close and open (i've forgotten the name) but they wanted $800 to get them done, and i don't think i can justify the price just to not wake people up lol.

Right now my car is pretty tame idle, has a bit of noise but not ridiculous, but under full throttle it's pretty damn loud haha.

See since I have a manual with decent gearing i think i can get away with a big stick, i'm just hoping my exedy HD clutch will hold up. I feel it'll need to be changed a bit afterwards but i'll just have to shift it nicely until then.

11. afstruct

afstruct Member

Members Ride:
    Yea, those mufflers are varlex, they're what I want on the monaro .
    The utes bounce the sound around more with that big ase boot.
    Yeah I went very practical and conservative and it's good but that extra kick with some revs would make it a bit more enjoyable
    I just had a look else where and someone recons for mine with the crow 4503 cam and all the right mods you'll get around 420 horses, not bad in a vs. All I need is a money tree!!!
    From what your tuner is telling you it sounds like you'd be on a winner and would really enjoy the vcm713. Yeah if you don't lose anything down low and you get nice improvement from mid range on then it would be all :)

12. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    Ah yeah Varex is the one, expensive as though.

I hope it's nice improvement, should be about 50RWKW+

13. Trayner

Members Ride:
  14. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    Good idea in theory, but the mufflers I have now will be loud with a cam. Idle will almost be 1k rpm which is why it'll be noisy. I could change the mufflers and do what you said but if I was going to do that I might aswell just get varex ones haha.

I'll see how it goes. My exhaust system does run two mufflers as it is.

15. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    camshaft dilemma.
    are you ever really and truly going to use high up in the rev range?
    seriously, will you ever really use anything about 3500 every day :p

go the smaller one that you actually want and will actually be in the rev ranges for more often.
    its a daily, not a weekender afterall

VS 5.0, DevilDRake and Gaiter like this.
  16. Gaiter

Gaiter Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Thunder
    That's my line of thoughts too dawnnite. Comes down to your personal driving style I guess, I usually shift between 4-5k so a lower end RPM cam would better suit my style. But then again I am not interested in a cam at this stage, much and more research to be done by myself.

17. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    See i do agree with you, but I take alot of private roads on the way to work ;)

Haha nah but seriously, on the way to work I take the westernport which is 100kms then round about then 100kms round about etc.. So there is a place to use it...

But I know you said it's not a weekender but I still drive it on weekends obviously. I want to take it to fast Friday nights and get some times down also.

It's very hard to figure out what I want to do. Smaller cam will be more use able during the week i understand that, but the times where I want more is where I feel I might regret going smaller.

It only takes 10 minutes to get to work and 10 to get home as it's 80-100kms the whole way. Some very small bits of traffic..

I've been advised that it won't kill the lower rpm range, it just won't have more power until 3.5k rpm. Which let's be honest, the 6l already has a heap of torque. I feel like it'll be like a turbo, the extra 60kw+ at 3500rpm plus lol

Gaiter likes this.
  18. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    So glad you're going through all this just before me, making my life so so much easier haha. Looking forward to hearing how the cam goes, should sound sweet in person.

19. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    Haha I'm pretty certain with the VCM713 now - just going to see if the tuner can comfortability get an 110LSA to behave otherwise i'll stick with the 112LSA. 110 would idle much rougher/tougher, and would be even faster instant torque @ 3500rpm. He's pretty adamant he can tune it well though.

Won't be for a little while though, maybe 2-3 months... But it'll get there!

When I get it done you're welcome to come for a spin :p.

It's like they said though, the cam will barely come into play during low speed areas or traffic and it'll be a bit of a bitch for the small amount of traffic i have, but mountain runs, drag days, weekend drives... whole different story. Driving to and from work I don't really give it too much anyway, i feel if you're going to get on the gas you might aswell get the most out of it lol.

VCM advertise the VCM713 to be over 315RWKW.. I'm not really caring about the figure but would be nice to hit the 300 club. The torque it adds is ridiculous, accompanied with a 3.9 diff gear set it should be real sweet.

Only thing that's lurking in my mind is clutch, previous owner put a H-D exedy clutch + flywheel. Should hold a bit of power but if it fails I'll need to get a new clutch and flywheel $$$$

Trayner, Sandman and Gaiter like this.
  20. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    gotta pay to play haha.
    plenty of stuff should hold up fine if you aren't abusive to it.

looks like you are now set on which one you are getting.
    and yeah the numbers aren't important as long as its fun and has plenty of pull :p

Gaiter likes this.