Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2006 VZ SS 6L Manual ute! (never dial-up friendly)

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
What do you mean by tramp?

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Hard to explain, probably better to Google it. Good example is imagine you dropped the clutch and start doing a burnout. It'll either smoothly spin the wheels no probs or you'll get a horrible shudder from the wheels bouncing up and down. Happens when you shift hard from 1st into 2nd etc, instead of a chirp it'll shudder. Hard to explain..

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy

Hard to explain, probably better to Google it. Good example is imagine you dropped the clutch and start doing a burnout. It'll either smoothly spin the wheels no probs or you'll get a horrible shudder from the wheels bouncing up and down. Happens when you shift hard from 1st into 2nd etc, instead of a chirp it'll shudder. Hard to explain..

When you go to do a burnout or do a quick take off and the rear feels like it bounces up and down /crab walks

Best thing to get is the harrop diff cover from what ive heard

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
When you go to do a burnout or do a quick take off and the rear feels like it bounces up and down /crab walks

Also hard cornering can cause 1 side to bounce and skip and cause the car to slide sideways and grip/no grip inconsistently which isn't good :p

especially in a light rear end like a ute you need all the grip you can get.

Last edited:

FlatOut 710

Yeah nah mate
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Commodore S Pac
Honestly, weather shields are probably one of the most useful things to add, they may not look the best but there'll be that one day where it's pissing down and you'll regret not getting em lol, as for diff ratios, I can't really say since I've never driven/owned a V8 before, maybe 3.7 or 3.9? It's really down to you, also early congrats on getting ya full licence, you can now drive pretty much any car you want :D

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
3.46 and Blown.
get all the benefits of power
and the gearing works well for highway driving.
unless you go a big cam, then the ratio and blower surge is a PITA.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute

Yeah I've heard this too, but $$$$

Honestly, weather shields are probably one of the most useful things to add, they may not look the best but there'll be that one day where it's pissing down and you'll regret not getting em lol, as for diff ratios, I can't really say since I've never driven/owned a V8 before, maybe 3.7 or 3.9? It's really down to you, also early congrats on getting ya full licence, you can now drive pretty much any car you want :D

Yeah man I've wanted them on every car and these actually don't look bad. I'll find out when they come in the mail next week anyway :p

3.46 and Blown.
get all the benefits of power
and the gearing works well for highway driving.
unless you go a big cam, then the ratio and blower surge is a PITA.

See, I sorta agree; I feel if i had enough money for a blower, then i have enough money to change the diff down the road if needed lol. I'd end up going a Truetrac or something. That'll be a long time away and i can also re-sell the diffs so that's all good.

In other news, i fitted up my rear shocks and removed the old diff - as I have got a new one being built for me! I impulsed on it, but brand new 3.91 gears, LSD, bearings, seals etc with 1 year warranty for $900 so can't complain.

I knew changing the diff over was going to be a prick and it was lol - A lot better than the first diff I ever did since I'm a heap more mechanically minded now though. Knew exactly how to do it, just removing the sway bar bolts off the diff carrier so you can get to the two front diff bolts was just a prick of a job. Ended up taking the exhaust off the hangers and lowering that little bit more which helped. Should of took it completely off but managed anyway.

Selling my old 3.46 diff in the near future if anyone wanted to buy it.

Few happy snaps:

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
yup those bolts are a c*$t to get too

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Done a diff swap in my VX and attempted it by myself 6 months ago.
Ended up having a mate come over and help me with it, I bloody hate those top bolts.

If I ever dare to do it again I'll be dropping the whole cradle lol.